Remote assistance

jack 17:43 05 Nov 2006

Any one out there used it?
I have been reading the topic up and as usual its as clear as mud- I guess I shall have read and read until some sticks.
This is what I would like to do.
A couple of my 'flock' live in the next town.
So from time to time I have to rive over[or use my bus pass]to sort 'em out.
True I do get a reward - Tea and donuts usually
but wouldn't be good if could drive their computer whilst they sat and watched.

So a simpler explanation in what do than MS is giving me would be appreciated

VoG II 17:49 05 Nov 2006

Does click here help

Or this from MS (there are 4 pages of this) click here

FreeCell 17:54 05 Nov 2006

If both sides of "flock" are not using XP then log Me In is an alternative. The free version is okay for remote access. click here

Simsy 18:22 05 Nov 2006

persuaded my dad to upgrade to XP just so we could use this feature and I could help him...

It really is easy.

The first link VoG™ has provided is good...

Basically the steps are;

You both connect to the internet

The person wanting help "asks" for it. They do this by either using "messenger", (A method I haven't used), or sending an email, (A method I have used)

The helper receives the email, which has a small attachment. helper clicks on the attachment which opens a small dialogue saying "do you want to help this person", to which you, obviously, click "Yes"

Helpee then gets a message on screen saying "xxx is trying to access your PC. Do you want to let them" They click yes and, magically, you as they helper can see their screen... Your mouse and keyboard controls their computer!

A few points to watch out for;

The person asking for help must have the ability to ask for help enabled. This is covered in VoG™'s first link.

When they ask for help they indicate how long the invitation last for, e.g. 1 hour, 10 hours etc. I'm not sure what would happen if the time were to expire in the middle of a help session?

A firewall may/will stop it working. You have to enable a specific port to let the traffic through. I couldn't find out how to do thi susing ZoneAlarm FREE version... I guess it can be doen with the paid for version.

Disabling ZoneAlarm and using the Windows built in firewall lets it work.

We were able to use Skype to talk to one another at the same time, so I could talk him through what I was doing. This worked, but seemed to slow things down very slightly, making mouse movements very slightly jerky.. I've since noticed, (but haven't yet used), that there seems to be a "conversation" facility within the remote assistance feature. I presume this would be slightly more effective than using skype in these circumstances.

There is a written "chat" page on screen that you may converse with, similar to using messenger, instead of actually speaking to one another.

Either the helpee or helper can end the connection by clicking a clearly marked button at any time.

I don't know how effective it would be, (or if it's even possible), if either of the parties is connected using dial-up rather than bband. I suspect it would work, but perhaps rather "jerkily"

I've noted the procedure above from memory, so the steps/messages might not be 100% accurate, but you get the picture.

Give it a go.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Monoux 18:33 05 Nov 2006

bookmarked

Wak 19:46 05 Nov 2006

If you haven't got Win XP then you can download the file NM30.EXE (Net Meeting 1624KB.) from Microsoft which is an earlier version of the program to allow Remote Assistance.
Both computers will need this program if they are not XP.
Hope this helps.
Wak.

jack 19:50 05 Nov 2006

Thank you all for all that
I Print off and down load and sort it
for now them I'll tick resolved

Wak 20:07 05 Nov 2006

Here are the instructions for using the earlier Net Meeting Program (NM30.EXE)

NET MEETING. - JOINING TWO COMPUTERS.
One Computer (the MAIN) can contact another computer (the PROBLEM) by means of the program called NET MEETING.
Actions to be taken.

The Problem Computer.
If NetMeeting is not installed,
1. Download the Net Meeting Program (NM30.EXE) (1624KB from Microsoft) into a safe folder.
2. Double click this file in the safe folder so that it installs itself, most probably in C:\ Program Files/Net Meeting.
This will put an Icon on the desk top.
3. Double click the Net Meeting Icon on the desk top to open Net Meeting.
4. Go to Tools/ Remote Desktop Sharing.
This will open the Desktop Wizard.
5. Make the Password ( more than 6 letters) and click OK. Make a note of it somewhere.
6. Go to Tools/ Options and tick the following.

General tab,
Directory Settings.
Tick Do not use my name in Directory settings
Tick Log on to Directory.
Tick Show Net Meeting icon in task bar ( near clock)

Security, Tick Outgoing calls

Certificate. Tick Use Privacy Only

Audio. Tick Enable full audio
Tick Enable Auto Gain

Video. Tick auto Receive.

Close NET MEETING.
7. Before anyone can contact you they have to know your I.P. address.
Go to Start/ Run and type winipcfg in the box and click OK.
8. MAKE A NOTE OF THE NUMBER stated in the I.P. address panel.
If the number is 0.0.0.0. then change the type of adapter in the top panel until the I.P. address reads something like 123.123.456.789 or 12.345.67. 890 (four numbers each separated by a dot) This is your I.P Address.
9. The Person who is going to repair your computer will require to know your I.P. Address and also the Password you created when installing Net Meeting.
Tell them either by e-mail or telephone then arrange a time when you will be available and connected to the Internet.
10. At the specified time, start your computer. cancel your screen saver (as you will want to see what is happening on your computer), open Net Meeting, (double click the icon), Go to TOOLS and click on REMOTE DESKTOP SHARING. This will put an icon in the tray near the clock.
Now go to CALL (top menu), and click EXIT & ACTIVATE REMOTE DESKTOP SHARING.
11. NOW LEAVE THE COMPUTER ALONE AS IT IS BEING CONTROLLED BY THE REPAIRER.
12. To regain control of your computer or to stop the repair proceeding, press the ESC key on your own computer keyboard then right click the icon in the tray and click EXIT.
This will cancel the remote control operation.

MAIN Computer.
In Net Meeting, call Problem Computer using the IP Address/Password and fix problem.

The above instructions refer to Win 98SE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017