Remote Access to PC

goll_y 14:14 21 Feb 2007

Hi,

I wonder if you can help. Wife is on her way to getting a laptop - sounds great, particularly when it frees up a laptop for my use.

At the moment our desktop PC (rather large and old) is on 24/7 in the study. Sounds fine except its next to the bedroom and the whirring is starting to become annoying.

Since it only stores DVD's / Music etc the idea is to get rid of the monitor and put the tower in the cupboard under the stairs. That way rather than run wirelessly I can attach it via cable to the router in the hall. The hope is that it will improve streaming capabilities to xbox.

Unfortunately that means drilling a hole in the bottom stair to run the cable through.

I'm still going to want remote access to the desktop PC via the laptop. Any free programmes that will allow you to do that without having to 'accept' remote access from the desktop computer? All computers running Windows XP.

In addition, just a small point - I presume it won't matter having the desktop PC relatively near the mains gas point which is also under the stairs.

Advice much appreciated!

robbiepaul79 14:27 21 Feb 2007

Im not sure on the software i would have to go have a nose around but i would be very wary leaving anything that is large and old on 24/7 let alone a P.C

Another solution maybe to purchase/treat yourself to a external H/D and keep the music/films on that.

silverous 17:06 21 Feb 2007

Look at VNC for remote access to another machine.

Giant68 17:44 21 Feb 2007

You could always turn it into network attached storage by installing something such as NAS Lite as the operating system. This wouldn't need the monitor and could be accessed by the laptops.

Giant68

sebbywebby 18:01 21 Feb 2007

Realvnc is great click here or logmein as well click here.

The only thing about logmein is that is runs online when real vnc is a program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone