Remote access to one server only?

silverous 18:46 16 Feb 2008

Hi,

I may have a requirement to enable a supplier to access a server remotely. Once on that server, how do I prevent access to the other servers on my network as typically they can all access eachother.

Thanks

trist 17:49 01 Mar 2008

You can map a network drive from the remote pc if it is just the hard drive of th server that your client needs to access. to prevent him accessing other servers, you can create permissions on active directory that allows him or blocks him from different servers. alternativey, you could configure your remote router's access lists to deny him access to certain ip addresses.

trist 17:50 01 Mar 2008

sorry, i meant configure the local router. the one that the servers are connected to.

Tech Guy 17:55 01 Mar 2008

You can an apply an access control list (ACL) if you are using an enterprise router.

Tech Guy 18:35 01 Mar 2008

If you haven't an enterprise router. You could set that server to a DMZ server and set your firewall rules to allow traffic for your clients ip address (only work if your client has a static ip address).

You can do this on a normal netgear DG****, failing this your only solution is what trist said.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?