Remote access via internet... How?

paranomia 22:23 04 Apr 2004

Hi all - I have a small network at home with 4 computers and a network printer. One of the machines has a Digital Video Recorder card which has 2 security cameras connected. I can access the cameras anywhere on the network but I would like to be able to access them via the internet. The network consists of a 4 port router and 8 port switch connected to the internet via a cable modem. I understand that the IP address changes every 20 hours or so, but even when I am sure of the IP address I can not access at all. Any suggestions?

Router may need to be set up to enable in-coming traffic to be forwarded to a certain IP, ie the one with camera attachted..

What router is it?

paranomia 23:43 04 Apr 2004

Hi Pilch - I think you may be on to something there... The router is a Jetway HO1-ADSLBR41. I have looked at the screen for setting port forwarding and I think I am way out of my depth. Firstly, how do I know what port the DVR card is using? It also wants a service name.

Not having the router i really cant comment on specific's.

You may need to enable the DMZ on the router as i said and put the IP of the machine that has the cameras connected into that. Then possibly firewall will then block port's but you allow the access to the port that has the camera...

Does the camera have any remote software for them?

joelmb 02:23 05 Apr 2004

Could try using VNC which is handy in that you can have complete control of your pc, not just viewing the cameras? click here

But you would still need to have the DMZ enables otherwise you get stuck at the router...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?