Remembering passwords

zoobie 02:50 22 May 2010

I think I must have cleared something by accident...I'm trying to get back auto username and password settings so I don't have to type them in constantly. Where did I goof?
Thanks

Running IE8
XPP

rdave13 06:45 22 May 2010

In IE click on tools- internet options- content tab- and check the settings for AutoComplete.

Muergo 00:03 23 May 2010

Try Roboform, I have used it for years, only need to remember or write somewhere the master password and then store dozens.

Also has form filling option.

In addition I have been using Lazarus which remembers each form you filled in so when a glitch happens you can ressurect where you were instantly.

If you have never got to the last part of filling in boxes to suddenly lose it you are lucky.

zoobie 20:36 26 May 2010

I really don't want another ap since Xp usually works fine. However, I've still noticed when I login to ebay, it doesn't remember me at all. Why would that be? Do I need to delete all auto-completes first?
Thanks

Sea Urchin 20:56 26 May 2010

eBay doesn't remember you by design - as a security measure. When you sign in you can select "Remember me for today" but tomorrow you will have to sign in again.

zoobie 21:26 26 May 2010

not really...it remembered me just fine...all I had to do was double click in the form box and select my username...it then filled in the password for me

I wonder if I need to delete all auto-completes?

Muergo 00:44 28 May 2010

I still think you should try Roboform, it is invaluable, today I filled in forms effortlessly, enters name address e-mail adress, phone number etc etc.
You really have to go onto the form and delete some of the items it has filled in.

Passwords are a doddle, after accessing eBay site (via Nectar points!) the roboform toolbar shows "e-Bay" so click on that and it fills in and submits password username e-mail .

If you first hit the passcard button on Roboform toolbar you can just click "e-Bay" and apart from doing everything as above it also gets the site up.

So for one click you get a ready to go signed in E-Bay, but it won't make bids for you!

Everything under one Master password which Roboform does not have so if you forget that you a b***ered.

It also generates passwords according to the strength you require.

Daiol 14:49 28 May 2010

Roboform is brilliant,Only one hitch was it dont work with google chrome.
Go for it.

Dark Mantis 17:57 28 May 2010

Roboform sounds brilliant but one thing springs to mind, what would happen if you had a hard drive crash or similar where Roboform was located? You would lose all your passwords to all your sites.

zoobie 18:21 28 May 2010

it's working now again...I think you have to allow the page to fully load before it works...thanks all

northumbria61 22:45 28 May 2010

Dark Mantis

Roboform sounds brilliant but one thing springs to mind, what would happen if you had a hard drive crash or similar where Roboform was located? You would lose all your passwords to all your sites.

If your hard drive crashed you wouldn't just lose Roboform you would lose EVERYTHING - which is why I would always recommend making a backup of your hard drive - I couldn't sleep at night without having a backup of all my valuable data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone