Reluctant USB flash drive

coinneach 19:34 03 Nov 2006

I'm trying to use a new 512Mb USB 2.0 flash drive on one of my USB 2.0 ports on a 7 months' old XP PC, but Windows doesn't appear to recognize it. The new drive isn't shown in My PC and I've had no success using the New Hardware Wizard.

It works perfectly well on a much older XP PC with USB 1.0 ports. Anybody know the trick, please?

Terry Brown 20:25 03 Nov 2006

Go to Help & Support, type in DISK, and select Disk Management (Usually bottom option)select from right hand side and see if USB drive is reconised. If it is exit that and go to device manager (Control panel,system/device manager and look for yellow mark, if seen , select uninstall then goto action (top) scan for changes.Tis should cure the problem
Terry

coinneach 21:24 03 Nov 2006

Nice try, Terry. Unfortunately, there's no sign of it anywhere. What puzzles me is that when I use it in the old PC, it starts flashing instantly. This shows that it has made a connection and it then goes on to behave as it should do. This doesn't happen with the new one. Incidentally, I've tried using a friend's stick on the latter and there aren't any problems. One wonders whether the contacts are damaged in some way, but why isn't this evident with the old PC?

coinneach

Phphred 23:55 03 Nov 2006

You could try this: Plug it into your old PC and look through the contents on the flash drive, if there is anything there which might upset Bill of MS, then save it to your old PC and remove it from your flash drive. RE try it in your new PC!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:56 04 Nov 2006

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

USB equip not recognised
Try switching the computer off and at the wall. Then hold the start switch in for 30 seconds or more, and then re boot.

coinneach 14:34 15 Nov 2006

Many thanks for these contributions. I'm still not out of the wood yet and I've also been unsuccessfully wading through the countless suggestions made by the flash drive's manufacturer. They concluded that the only thing left to try was that which Fruit Bat offered above, ie to uninstall everything under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager, then after a reboot to allow XP to reinstall them.

Having never done this before, I was nervous that I might lose these items altogether! Could you please confirm that XP will automatically reinstall them on reboot without any other action from me?

Thanks

coinneach

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:44 15 Nov 2006

Yes XP will reinstall all devices.

coinneach 20:22 15 Nov 2006

Thanks for that. I was making the assumption, rightly or wrongly, that the reinstallation would be automatic on reboot, but now I'm faced with conflicts, a Hardware Wizard that can't find the appropriate software and no operating USB ports!
Should I be using the Windows CD and if so, do you know how?

coinneach

Legolas 20:36 15 Nov 2006

You could try a win XP Repair that should sort out the USB ports. click here

coinneach 19:44 19 Nov 2006

Thank you for all your contributions. In the end, I appealed to the OEM, who gave me a registry fix which proved successful. After the USB controllers were restored, the New Hardware Wizard had no difficulty in finding the appropriate device driver!

coinneach

peterryan33 08:14 21 Nov 2006

could you help me. I have had a similar problem and now one of my usb pots is coming up as an unknown device. Is this what happened to you? If so how did you fix it? If anyone else can help that would be great. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017