Reloading WindowsXP

Mike_R 18:15 16 Nov 2008

I've had to reload son's desktop XP three times in the last few months. Could it be hardware/virus problems, although the latter does not show up on Norton?
This time I'm getting a message "ATIRW.exe Unable to locate component" "...MFC71.DLL was not found...", but the system seems to run OK.
I was not sure which software drivers to load so I might have attempted to load too much.
Any advice on how to find out what drivers are appropriate would be welcome, and why XP keeps on getting corrupted.
It is a previous life Evesham PC so I doubt whether Evesham would help for no cost.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:21 16 Nov 2008

ile ATIRW.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files" (common is C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\RemCtrl\). Known file sizes on Windows XP are 196608 bytes (36% of all occurrence), 200704 bytes, 1482752 bytes, 167936 bytes, 192512 bytes, 1622016 bytes, 188416 bytes.
The file is not a Windows core file. Program starts upon Windows startup (see Registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run). The program can be removed using the control panel Add\Remove programs applet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:22 16 Nov 2008

Reload your ATI wonder card graphics software

Mike_R 14:24 17 Nov 2008

Thank you. I will delete the file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?