Reloading Windows XP

Mike_R 18:54 16 Nov 2009

I've reloaded Windows XP onto my son's desktop as as on loading it was cycling around the BIOS screen and the initial Windows screen.
The reload appeared to have worked but on restarting the screen stops on a message "Please select the operating system to start". Underneath the OS is listed twice. The first entry works but the second entry seems to be the original corrupt version as the cycling problem reoccurs when this one is clicked on.
I assume that I need to do something to clear out the old corrupt version and would welcome advice on how to go about it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:07 16 Nov 2009

Have a look on the hard drive C: you may have two windows folders one labeled windows and th other windows.000.
Please tell us if this is so.

Mike_R 19:50 16 Nov 2009

Yes, i have.

Mike_R 17:19 17 Nov 2009

In C there are Windows and Windows.0. The former is 4GB and the latter 1GB. The creation date for the former is given as in 2008 and the latter is yesterday.
In Documents and Settings are duplicates of each user, each holding differing data sets.
Questions: which windows do I delete? How do I get the old files into the latest users? How do I get rid of the starter screen?

woodchip 18:29 17 Nov 2009

If it was me, I would get all your Files and Photos plus Email off to a External Drive. Then Clear the Hard Drive and do a new Install free from all the Problems you have and will be left with a Clean Drive. This will be faster in the End plus as above, not knowing and unsure of whats left

MAT ALAN 18:36 17 Nov 2009

I'm with woodchip, save any files that you need to reload, format your C:\ drive then do a clean reinstall of XP...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 17 Nov 2009

Windows.0 is your new instalation.

If you do not want to format and start again then I suggest create a new folder on your C:drive and you copy all the documents photos etc. from Docs and settings that you wish to keep.

Then delete the old Windows folder and every thing in it.

then
Start - Run - type msconfig press ok
Boot.ini tab and click check all boot paths
this will get rid of the root to the old windows.

Next time you rebbot you will not get the "Please select the operating system to start". and it will boot into your new windows.

Mike_R 19:33 17 Nov 2009

A clean restore sounds the best way forward. By format, is that while in XP just clicking on the format box in the Hard Drive C box, ignoring format options, and then reloading XP from the recovery CD in the same way as I did before?

There is not that much to save. It should go onto a DVD.

Quiller. 19:41 17 Nov 2009

Option is the quickest and the best. You will save your data, not have to load windows again and it will get rid of the boot option.

"By format, is that while in XP just clicking on the format box in the Hard Drive C box, ignoring format options, and then reloading XP from the recovery CD in the same way as I did before? "

That doesn't work. Thats why you probably have 2 versions of XP on your computer now.

Quiller. 19:42 17 Nov 2009

Fruit Bat /\0/\'s option is the ..........

Mike_R 20:06 17 Nov 2009

Not having much luck in deleting the old Windows. I keep on getting the message"Flash10c... Access is denied"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?