Reloading MS Works from old system CDs

logrin 19:49 30 May 2006

I have reloaded my computer with a new XP pro but it hasn't got M/S Works. It was on my old XP set up supplied with the computer. Is it on my Utility CD or the System Recovery CD from my old Windows XP which had developed a fault and caused me lots of grief when I tried to use it toreset my system
Can I download it into my new system from one of these CDs without interfering with my new setup?
logrin

Genius1 21:05 30 May 2006

I would have thought that inserting the System Recovery CD from your old setup may start the system recovery process - therefore reverting your system back to the way it originally was. I'm not sure if you could gain access to the Works folder on the CD without running the system recovery process.

You may be able to cancel the recovery process after inserting the CD when you are logged on (NOT before the OS has booted up). You may then be able to browse the CD's contents in Windows Explorer to find the Works setup folder you need.

You could try this, although there are no guarantees that it will work!

€dstowe 22:18 30 May 2006

Not an answer to your question but, have you thought about using OpenOffice instead of that not very good program, MS Works?

click here

VoG II 22:21 30 May 2006

Have you actually read the destructions that should have come with your PC?

terryf 23:40 30 May 2006

I agree with €dstowe, openoffice is better than Works, has very good help and is almost a look-alike of Msoft office, big download though

Totally-braindead 23:46 30 May 2006

The computer systems I have seen that come with a recovery disk only and not an actual copy of MS Works usually means its preinstalled and you may find you don't have a copy of it anywhere. I'm almost certain it won't be on the restore disk, it may be on the utility disk but only by looking at whats on it could you see if thats the case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?