Reloading MS Office after replacing Hard Disk

Havasupai 23:24 16 Aug 2004

My MS Office 2000 program is an upgrade and I no longer have the floppies of the ancient version installed years ago from which I upgraded. Hard disk crashed and had to be replaced,I successfully put back XP Home, but when I try to re-install Office there is nothing for it to upgrade from and it refuses. What do I do? The other problem is I can't opt for Standby when I turn off the machine because it is greyed out. Irritating but not crucial, whereas not having Word and Excell without forking out for another copy is verging on serious. Any help gratefully received.

woodchip 23:33 16 Aug 2004

Get a old second hand Office or Word from a Computer Fair

THE TERMINATOR 01:20 17 Aug 2004

What did you do with your old hard drive? Can it be installed as a second drive? You could then access Office....TT

Brian-336451 05:12 17 Aug 2004

Colleagues who have old software knocking about, might just have what you're looking for.

Just borrow one and take a copy esp if it's a cd, floppies can be a pain if they ask you to stick more than Floppy No1 in (I don't think they do that any more, used to with Win95 and old MSDOS disks)

Good luck.

Brian-336451 05:16 17 Aug 2004

Have you tried approaching Microsoft with your dilemma. I have always foung their customer support especially on the phone to be excellent.

People knock Microsoft, but what have you to lose for the price of a phonecall, make sure you've got the CD Key with you when you phone, see what they say.

It may be no help, but that is what I'd do, especially if you have the old hard drive knocking about as evidence.

Havasupai 18:53 17 Aug 2004

I have now resolved the problem, but I take the point about contacting Microsoft. What's the number and is it a chargeable service?

And thanks for all the suggestions - as usual!

cga 19:13 17 Aug 2004

How did you resolve it?

This forum is also a reference for others who may have a similar problem

THE TERMINATOR 21:12 20 Aug 2004

How was this issue resolved, I am curious to know cos I have a friend in a similar position, but he lives 356 miles away and I won't be able to travel until next weekend to help him....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?