Reloaded XP SP1 Program files Query

hmmmm(the original) 18:09 13 Jan 2008

I've just had to reload XP back to the state it was in when Purchased. This is with SP1 installed.

In my add remove programs list and start menu there are no programs listed. Yet in the program files folder all my old programs are still there. Is it best to delete the old folders and reinstall them. Or just reinstall them as when thay are installed Windows just overwrites the previous folder.

I would like to use this opportunity to create a program files foled in the D drive to keep lots of free space on the C drive.

brundle 19:30 13 Jan 2008

Delete them.
Additionally, get XP Service Pack 2 here; click here

100andthirty 19:38 13 Jan 2008

Be aware that, occasionally, programmes get upset about being put on a drive that's not the drive with the operating system on it

hmmmm(the original) 19:43 13 Jan 2008

Cheers. Thanks for the SP2 link Unfortunatley when I installed SP2 my computer wouldn't restart it hung on starup when the blue bar moves from left to right. Also I've no sound just a lot of yellow question marks on device manager at the moment.

At the moment I'm trying to sort my keyboard out " and @ are in the wrong places for soem reason.

Devil Fish 19:54 13 Jan 2008

your keyboard is on American layout

go to control panel

Regional and Language

Click the language tab then the details button

Change to English United Kingdom

click apply then ok

you will need to reboot to apply changes

hmmmm(the original) 21:50 13 Jan 2008

ta

VoG II 21:53 13 Jan 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?