reload windows 98...... :-(((

Magik ®© 14:13 22 Oct 2004

hi, back again........this is doing me in, after more than one reformat and a reload of windows 98se, we are still in trouble, badly.....each time i try to load anything, it askes for the win98 disk, which i put in, then i get files not found, we are not on about one or two, loads are missing,i have run SFC, and REG scan and fix, still no good, so i thought "reload windows" no way will it have it, it tells me that a virus detection built in is stopping windows loading, or virus software running the first one i have unticked and i have no virus software on the PC..

anyone any idea at all.......... thanks

Smegs 14:26 22 Oct 2004

How did you format? If you formatted, then I would say, you shouldn't have a virus.

Start you Pc keep pressing the F8 button. This will get you in to dos. At the c:\ type in format c: /s.

This will format and leave the system files on. Then all you have to do, is go in to BIOS and change the start up to starup with the cdrom, With the win98se disk in. Away you go.

Magik ®© 14:33 22 Oct 2004

I will give that a try.......thanks, and i will return....

i reformated the drive, repartioned it, and started at the beginning, I can not connect to the net so it can not have a virus, in fact i can not load anything....it is my sons laptop, kids who would have them,,,,,,this is all being done on my laptop...

Rayuk 14:35 22 Oct 2004

click here

If you follow the guide and copy the WinCD to your hard drive before installing you shouldnt have to use the Win98 CD again as it should pick it up automatically from the hard drive

woodchip 14:43 22 Oct 2004

It's asking for drivers, like IDE,Monitor Graphics and Sound all these have to go on before you get ride of Windows Wizard

JonnyTub 14:44 22 Oct 2004

I can't remember if you tried this in your last post magik, is there any kind of mention of virus protection in the bios?

woodchip 14:45 22 Oct 2004

You should load the Motherboard Drivers after you install windows followed by any of the above

JonnyTub 14:46 22 Oct 2004

magiks original post click here

woodchip 15:07 22 Oct 2004

That's too long for me, as he seems to have got win98 on, it apperas to me as Windows is asking for drivers after he as loaded windows an it does the final boot up

JonnyTub 15:09 22 Oct 2004

agree woodchip, but everytime he succesfully reloads 98 (drivers an all) it keeps knacking up, i'm beginning to think the hd may be about to go pop.

Magik ®© 16:06 22 Oct 2004

just rung my son to ask him what he wants to do, he is going to ring me later to arrange for him to come over...............

yes, in the setup thingy, there is a virus detection, which i have unticked.....

if you all dont mind, i will tick the box, and carry on the moment he gets here....

there really does seem to be so many files missing, even the sounds files from Rock wont go in, and of course it will not connect to the internet, if you press the "skip file" it just goes to the next one and so on....

thank you all for the help, as the Terminator said........I will return.........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?