Reliable web host for small Frontpage site

Paul669 14:32 03 Oct 2007

I have a web site for my Bed & Breakfast that I created using Front Page. It's not a very large site & doesn't need to support e-selling.

My current web hosting company is very unreliable, our email seems to not work a lot of the time, the support is hard to get hold of and it's obviously more aimed at 'professional' designers.

Basically I need to find a company which is reasonably priced, will support Front Page and where there's good support aimed at individuals who aren't professional web designers.

Can anybody provide any suggestions?
Thanks!

Forum Editor 17:46 03 Oct 2007

Heart Internet click here which is without a doubt the best hosting company I have ever dealt with.

I must declare an interest - I'm a Heart reseller - but that's not the reason I recommend the company. It has been voted the number 1 UK Unix Web Hosting Provider by Web Host Directory, and has several times been voted number 1 UK reseller.

Of more interest to you is probably the fact that in the four years I've been dealing with the company I have not known them take longer than an hour to respond to customer service tickets.

IClaudio 08:33 04 Oct 2007

What are the ramifications, if any, of transferring domains? I've been with 1&1 from the beginning, but some of my clients are looking for a cheaper hosting option, and Heart is one of the companies I've been looking at.

Forum Editor 20:05 04 Oct 2007

Domain transfer is one of those things that in theory is extremely simple, but in practice can be a pain.

Where a .co.uk name is concerned it couldn't be easier - you set up your new hosting account first.

Once you've done that, notify your existing host that you wish them to retag the name - your new host will give you details of its tag.

Once your old host confirms that the name has been retagged you can initiate the move to the new host - in the case of Heart Internet (and lots of other hosts) you can do this online, via your control panel. The new host will then call the name across, and the transfer is made - you can set up mailboxes and publish a site to the new server.

Sometimes a host will drag its heels over the retag, but most 'proper' companies are pretty good.

It's obviously crucial to ensure that you have a full copy of the site before you initiate a move - the files will be deleted from the old host's server as soon as the name moves across.

IClaudio 20:36 04 Oct 2007

Thanks for that: I assume that sub-domains etc. will keep their structure in the changeover?

Forum Editor 22:07 04 Oct 2007

When you get access to your new control panel you'll need to set up the sub domain. You'll find it pretty easy, and you can just point it to the sub-domain folder that's already in your site structure. By doing that you'll ensure that all your hyperlinks still work - don't change anything in the site file structure.

IClaudio 17:49 05 Oct 2007

Thanks!

CodeMeister 12:03 07 Oct 2007

Have a look at Orchard Hosting (click here), they are absolutely brilliant, cheap and the support response time is amazing.

Patr100 21:56 07 Oct 2007

CodeMeister, you sound like you have an "interest" you haven't declared, they don't look cheap to me, quite the opposite. Very poor value. Co.uk domains for £4.49 pa - twice what others charge. There are countless hosts that provide more for less.

CodeMeister 19:26 08 Oct 2007

I can assure you that I have no interest in Orchard Hosting whatsoever, but I just like to propose companies that I think are providing a cheap, good quality service.

Patr100 23:05 08 Oct 2007

Charging double for co.uk domains is not cheap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?