Reliable Firewalls

meater 10:24 19 Mar 2003

I am running Windows 98 SE on two PC's, and I am on NTL Cable Broadband.
Can anybody recommend any Firewalls which will not conflict with anything. I have heard that ZoneAlarm is good but it can sometimes cause conflictions. I would appreciate any suggestions on a good firewall.

From meater

JoeC 10:40 19 Mar 2003

click here

for firewall scoreboard at Shields-Up site.

kingkenny 10:43 19 Mar 2003

I have never had any problems with Norton Personal Firewall and currently use NPF 2003 and find it a reliable product, in fact I had it tested by another security site and receved this comment:

"One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion."

I think it was a site called gibson technologies but maybe someone can correct me on that one.

NPF is esay to use and the liveupdate function works really well. I got in as a pack with NAV and it was only £45, so not too bad.

But there are other free Firewalls available other than Zone Alarm you could try. I will try and find the link if you like.

Cheers

Andsome 11:24 19 Mar 2003

I too use Norton Personal Firewall 2003, and have tested it on numerous test sites. Each time I have been told that to all intents and purposes my computer is invisible and does not in the eyes of a hacker, exist.

cracker23 11:40 19 Mar 2003

I use Norton Personal Firewall too,it can also block ads and pop-ups.Never had any trouble with it and it works perfectly

Belatucadrus 11:55 19 Mar 2003

click here for KerioPersonnal Firewall2 the free version is complete and not a cut down version of a commercial product and you can also download a users manual. Very well rated in the reviews, well worth a look.

expertec 12:05 19 Mar 2003

When I had my broadband installed it wouldn't work at first because of a conflict wih Zonealarm so I got rid of that I've been using BlackIce Defender ever since.it's very good, had no problems so far.

MPete 12:56 19 Mar 2003

ZoneAlarm.

I've used it for years on hundreds of computers and it's worked perfectly. It's simple so it's not to easy to make mistakes for some people. Nothing worse that having a firewall so complicated that people make mistake with it's setting turning it off in some area.

It's free.

Oh and it's been tested millions of times and it is the only firewall that has NEVER leaked.

Oh and important for me it does not tell you every time somebody tries to connect to your computer.

It's just blocks them and stays out of your face.

I've had 45 attempts in 3 hours. I just checked.My buddy has norton so that would be like 45 popups saying whoever was trying to connect to your computer...

I'd be popuped to death here. I got about 100 at least a day since that latest server bug went threw. UDP 1043 I can't remeber what they called it. One more Windows worm. Slammer i guess it was.
What ever never had a problem with any of them blocked them all.

It's worked perfectly for me.

Sketch 13:01 19 Mar 2003

Running Win98SE, BT Broadband.

Using 'Norton Firewall 2003'. Has popup/ad stopper, antivirus protection built in plus a year of free software and virus definition updates!

No problems whatsoever!
('Norton Utilities' is also particularly useful.)

Go buy!

SKETCH

meater 14:59 19 Mar 2003

Thank you for your help on Firewalls.

Regards

meater

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?