reliable external hard drive

hi my seagate just started making a grinding noise (it's the air bearing one) within seconds this noise had worsened to a moderate clatter that made my dive under the desk to unplug it.
to be honest it's never been off in just over 2 years and backs up every other day or so.
any recommendations please? i had a couple of old eide drives but have fitted them inside and need a removable drive.
thanks.

woodchip 22:16 25 Jun 2008

Samsung Seems to be good well it is on my comp. I have had lots of Seagate drives but lost some faith in them

hello, thanks for the reply, sadly i dont think novatech do samsung click here was going to order one tonight. everything they make seems top notch.
i have western digital internal, not sure how good they are but havnt let me down yet, run cool and quiet even the raptor, anyone had experience of their externals?

woodchip 22:22 25 Jun 2008

Sorry you said External I was on about internal. But it still goes. The last External of mine was a Seagate Barracuda 200Gb I put in a caddy but did not seem to last all that long, Now got a Western Digital 160Gb in the same caddy

woodchip 22:23 25 Jun 2008

I got the Samsung from PCworld the Western Digital from a Computer Fair

might give that a wd a go then, i was always concerned that the seagate didnt turn off, and it seems my fears were justified.
thanks again.

woodchip 22:42 25 Jun 2008

The problem with External Drives is you should always Choose Safely Remove from System tray as if you switch it of or pull the Plug while windows is reading writing to the drive it will corrupt it and thats a big NO NO for hard drives

i got a wdc 1tb my book. very impressed, as long as in lasts longer than my previous. 5 year warranty too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?