release

dwhiteley 20:29 25 Mar 2014
Answered

when i am using my pc after about it brings up a box saying windows 7 can not find release.exe when i click the cross it goes away only to come back in about 15 minutes

Mr Mistoffelees 20:37 25 Mar 2014

Are you using McAfee anti-virus/internet security? If so, try reinstalling it.

dwhiteley 22:01 25 Mar 2014
Answer

no i am using avast

Bris 16:16 26 Mar 2014

Release.exe is part of McAfee as Mr Mistoffelees suggested.

It would appear that it was previously installed on your PC and then uninstalled using Windows uninstaller. Unfortunately because of the nature of anti virus software it is deliberately hard to remove for obvious reasons.

The only way of completely removing it is to download the uninstaller from McAffee here.

dwhiteley 23:21 26 Mar 2014

i did try that post but never worked i still get box saying can't find release.exe

Bris 14:27 27 Mar 2014

When it happens bring up Task Manager (ctrl/alt/del) and click on the "processes" tab and look for release.exe then in the right hand column it should give you a clue as to where its coming from.

Bris 14:33 27 Mar 2014

Sorry, ignore my previous post, brain not in gear, however, whatever is causing the message should appear in processes so it still may give you a clue especially if its coming from a routine you recently uninstalled.

Bris 14:48 27 Mar 2014

Try running sfc /scannow from a command prompt and also Ccleaner.

Best to create a restore point before the above so you have a back out in case of problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?