reinstalling XP problem

Cymro. 14:47 13 Nov 2009

I was reinstalling XP on my Medion laptop. I have two disks that I can use to do this. The official MS disk and a Medion disk. As I did not want the problem of reinstalling the programs I had downloaded over the years I used the MS disk.

I had red-up on all the info. I could find on this and all seemed to go very well right up to the final point when XP reboots. It got stuck on the part where the bands crawl across the screen and just would not actually enter Windows. It just went round and round in an endless loop.

So I had a go on reinstalling with the Medion disk. This time everything worked alright and the computer now runs as it should. Yes I did have to reload all programs such as Internet settings etc. but as I also had the BT disk this was no problem only time consuming.

So where did I go wrong, why when I used the original MS disk that came with the computer it seemed to load up XP but just went in to a loop at the very end?

A time may come when I will again need to reinstall XP and the official MS disk should be more convenient if I could only get it to work.

User-1229748 14:59 13 Nov 2009

it may just have been a bad install.

Cymro. 15:24 13 Nov 2009

Yes but I can`t help thinking that I did something wrong. There was all those options about choosing what way to load up. Some at the start of the proses and some others at the end.

canarieslover 15:51 13 Nov 2009

I take it that you were doing a Repair on Windows if you were expecting to have all your programs and data intact. I have been able to do this with my Medion disk without any problem so I can only suggest that your retail copy was not the same version as installed on the laptop.

woodchip 16:07 13 Nov 2009

If you use the Medion MS OEM install disc it would wipe all the programs, unless you did a Repair using the disc

Cymro. 16:10 13 Nov 2009

No it was to be full restore as I never saw any choice of making it a repair on the MS or the Medion disk. I must have missed something as all the bumf I read mentioned being able to make a repair or a full restore!

Cymro. 16:12 13 Nov 2009

The Medion handbook says that the Medion disk will only reinstall to factory settings and warns that everything else will be lost and so to use the MS disk that they also supply.

Cymro. 12:01 14 Nov 2009

As I said the computer is running very well now but I may need to reinstall again some time in the future.

woodchip 21:39 14 Nov 2009

I know what Medion Handbook says I have two a desktop and a Laptop. however mine came with the Restore CD and a OEM XP Home CD plus other discs

woodchip 21:40 14 Nov 2009

If you use the OEM Microsoft CD you can do a Repair so that it only Repairs the Operating System. This does not wipe your Programs and files

ArrGee 23:22 14 Nov 2009

I have had the same problem many times on numerous PCs and laptops. So I now use DBAN to format first, and then install the OS.

So far, it has worked perfectly on around 20 PCs/laptops.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone