Reinstalling Windows XP

Billy911 13:26 01 Feb 2008

If I reinstall XP will it overwrite any files (Letters, spreadsheets, mp3's etc) that I've created since the laptop was bought?

Press Man 13:34 01 Feb 2008

If you do a complete install, then the answer is yes!
However, I think if you do a "repair" they will be OK? Best bet is to copy all that you want to keep on to a CD or DVD then do a complete fresh install.

Billy911 13:40 01 Feb 2008

Thanks Press Man. I'm not sure if I should do a complete reinstall or repair. An error message keeps appearing when I go on the start menu to open a program: "Microsoft explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close...blah blah blah". The screen then refreshes back to the desktop. Any suggestions?

Press Man 13:48 01 Feb 2008

Try this first, click here if it does not work then try this click here. It may save you having to re-install!

Press Man 13:49 01 Feb 2008

Try this first, click here if it does not work then try this click here. It may save you having to re-install!

Press Man 13:49 01 Feb 2008

Sorry for the double post. Probs my end?????

Billy911 14:06 01 Feb 2008

Thanks again Press Man. I'll try them when I get home (I'm at work at the moment).

Totally-braindead 14:21 01 Feb 2008

If you get stuck theres no harm trying a repair click here but read the post carefully as if you screw things up you will end up losing all info on your PC. Hence Press Mans advice to backup just in case is a good one.

TopCat® 14:24 01 Feb 2008

WinXP repair install then you will not be able to install the updates - these are lost by the repair process. You will need to register the Wups2.dll file, which is currently used by Windows Update and remains on your computer after the repair. Full instructions can be found at http.//support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 TC.

TopCat® 14:26 01 Feb 2008

Error on the link - : required and not. after http TC.

Procrastinus 16:07 01 Feb 2008

Sorry TopCat®, but cannot get your link to work - could you please check it! Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?