Reinstalling Windows - my ideas. Any thoughts?

The Old Git 20:43 04 Jun 2003

Am running Win98se on 450Mz pc with 300+ Mb ram.

Things seem to be slow and am thinking of doing a full wipe on C: drive and reinstalling windows.

I have Norton Utilities and running all likely check and repairs on this finds a few things but doesn't achieve anything major.

Trouble is then I have to reinstall all my other stuff, word processing, graphics, sound software and utilities which are installed on drives D to G. D is a separate slave hard disk, all others on master hard disc, if this is of any significance.

I have an old copy of Cleansweep and I wondered if it would save time if I uninstalled all the major items which are then saved as backups, including register settings. I could then restore from backup including register data once I had reinstalled windows.

Has anyone ever tried this and if so did it work?

If not, would I simply be saving whatever may be causing slow running?

Help and ideas appreciated

rowdy 21:09 04 Jun 2003

If you do a wipe and clean install be sure to put all programs on the same drive/partition as the OS, download and install all updates for windows ,antivirus etc and then immediately take an image using drive image. This way a clean reinstall can be made in minutes should it ever be required again.

The Old Git 19:39 25 Jun 2003

Thanks for responses (esp. Rowdy!). You might be interested in what happened.

I decided to have a go, using McAfee uninstaller from a magazine disk to try to save major software. Then wiped drive C: by formatting then reinstalled W98SE. Then tried to reinstall what I had archived when uninstalling. On running the software, in most cases, an error message came up to say that a file (usually a *.dll file) could not be found.

So much for my bright idea of unistalling then reinstalling from resulting archive. I just had to grit my teeth and do a full install from disk. I had saved the data files on a different drive so I lost none of these.

There was one positive result though. My broadband (the dreaded btopenworld) seemed a lot quicker.

Thanks again to those responding. Sorry my response was delayed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?