Reinstalling Windows '98

slimpickins 15:07 20 Jul 2005

A friend who's getting rid of an old PC asked me what the best way of getting rid of the personal data on it was. It's a Windows '98 and I'm thinking that reinstalling Windows might be the most reliable but I can't remember how to do it, it's years since I've done it myself.

Am I right in thinking that just putting the OS disc in and choosing install will reformat or does it have to be reformatted seperately?

howard60 15:37 20 Jul 2005

you need a start up floppy to format the hard drive then you can reinstall win98. Although not a perfect way of getting rid of personal data it should be good enough for the normal user. Once formatted with the new os on it it would need an expert or very determined bod to get the info back.

slimpickins 15:51 20 Jul 2005

I was afraid of that! I think I'll sugest that they use a "wipe info" program instead.

olddick 16:41 20 Jul 2005

Hi,

Who the hell are you going to sell/give it to who would be interested in trying to recover any information. After a full format you need some bloody good software to recover anything!

woodchip 16:54 20 Jul 2005

It's easy to format and reinstall 98. just say if do want help

uisquebeathus 20:06 20 Jul 2005

the action of format does not wipe out the data on a hard drive or a cd /dvd for that matter if you want to remove any chance of data recovery you will have to use a wipe info, there are plenty of freeware example at "zdnet" and "major geeks" there are also very cheep and freeware datarecovery tools available also.
For a test I formatted a drive continuosly over 20 times until data could not be recovered and again it depends on the type of format fat32 or ntfs was at 6 times.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone