Reinstalling Windows 7 on same PC

Rogerfredo 19:02 24 Nov 2013

Some years ago I bought a PC running Vista. When Windows 7 became available I purchased an upgrade disc, and subsequently then further upgraded to Windows 8. Then disaster struck my PC, and I identified the problem as being with the SATA connections (hard drive and DVD RW). As the mainboard also had an IDE socket, I decided to use an old IDE hard drive and DVD RW and use this to load my OS. I first loaded Vista (success!) and then loaded Windows 7,also successfully. The problem is that the software will not activate, as I get the message that "this version cannot be used". Surely, as the hard drive is the only item changed, the copy should still be legal?

lotvic 19:34 24 Nov 2013

Is the full message "this version cannot be used for a clean install" ?

When you installed W7 did you start the install from within Vista? and choose the Upgrade install?

Rogerfredo 10:18 25 Nov 2013

Thanks for replies. When I installed the Windows 7 I did it from Vista, although the "upgrade" option was greyed out and I had to do a "custom(clean)install". As I am now using a completely different hard drive (SATA failed), there is no record on disc of any prior registration.

bumpkin 11:36 25 Nov 2013

I don't know if this is any help but IDE to SATA adapters are available.

lotvic 13:05 25 Nov 2013

Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?