Reinstalling Windows 7 with new user

Farleyjim 08:06 10 Jan 2012

I have just bought a new laptop and given my old one to my wife. It has a full retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium on it which I installed last year. My question is this. If I reinstall Windows 7 using my retail disk, would there be any issues about having a different user? It seems such a workup to take all my stuff of it that I think a clean install would be the neatest answer, and my wife wouldn't have to worry about getting mixed up with any of my junk. Am I right?

Taff™ 08:28 10 Jan 2012

No issues at all. However, instead of a complete reinstall why not add her as a user and simply delete your account with all the data? She can set up her profile as she wants.

sharpamat 08:52 10 Jan 2012

You can transfer all your files and Docs ( but not your programs )to your new laptop useing windows easy transfer.Then deleat your own account, or do a clean install

KRONOS the First 09:03 10 Jan 2012

A clean install would,in my opinion, be the best way to go. It insures a factory fresh laptop almost. Make sure you have drivers as Windows 7 does not always have them all and it is worth downloading and burning to disk SP1 from here.Scroll to the bottom. SP1 ISO. This will make updating less time consuming.

You might also want to have a look at this, Popular software. This will install the popular software that most of us seem to use.

Farleyjim 17:15 13 Jan 2012

Thanks, everyone. I decided to create my wife as another user and she seems quite happy(emails and IE). The workup of reinstalling Windows 7 was a bit of a put off but also I decided that it might be useful to keep my old files on the laptop as another backup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?