Reinstalling Windows

honeysuckle 12:22 20 Oct 2007

I am having problems with my PC. It takes about 15 minutes to boot up and then it takes ages to connect to the internet, sometimes saying it can't find the modem. Then when I am online it can take 5 minutes to connect to a website. I have panda security suite, spybot, ad-aware
spyblaster and superanti-spyware installed. I have run all these and have found no viruses trojans or malware. I think I may need to reinstall windows but I have a problem. I have a Mesh computer and a recovery disc but it says not to use it before contacting the number on the disc. Howeverer this number is now obsolete. I cannot find my validation code for windows. Can anyone tell me where I can get this and if I really need to contact Mesh or is this just a way to get me to ring a premium rate number while they talk me through all the things I have already checked

Strawballs 12:28 20 Oct 2007

click here download and run this then click on OS and it will tell you your product code that your PC is running with.

As for mesh I don't know why they put that I have no experience of their recovery disc's

birdface 12:44 20 Oct 2007

Try Control Panel.Network Connections.Right click local area connection and press repair.See if that finds anything.The keycode should be on a sticker on the side of your computer somewhere.As a last resort Remove the Panda security suite. Run C Cleaner and then reinstall it.

rawprawn 13:11 20 Oct 2007

My friend has a Mesh, and on his machine I think that he can hit F11 on boot which takes him to an option to go back to factory settings. I'm sorry I can't contact him to check as he is out of the country, but it's worth a look.

dfh 13:18 20 Oct 2007

Hi, I dont know if it helps but do you still have the F10 option come up when you boot up? If you do,could you not restore back to the factory setting. For more info see here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017