Reinstalling Windows?

haj84 16:48 22 May 2007

I am considering reinstalling windows on my laptop as it is running slower over time.

Is this easy to do? Can someone give a quick runthrough of the best way to do this?

I have a Sony Vaio laptop running XP.

keef66 16:53 22 May 2007

Do you have the literature that came with the laptop when new? That should tell you how to restore it to factory settings.

failing that, do you have the windows software on CD?

bezzer20 16:58 22 May 2007

but yes its easy. I reinstalled vista a couple of days ago for the first time, i gotta dam virus spyware crap. backed all my docs onto my 2nd HDD and reformatted the drive and reinstalled vista. Not a difficult process at all

bezzer20 16:59 22 May 2007

oh and im preeety a noob

dth 17:01 22 May 2007

I think most laptops have a hidden restore partition these days. You can use this to put your laptop back to the state it was in when originally purchased. You would see a big difference in performance as windows does tend to pick-up junk over the months.

The downside is that you would (obviously) need to make a back-up of your data (emails, docs etc) to copy back once you have re-set windows. Plus you would also need to re-install any programs which you have installed (that you still use) since you had the laptop.

As keef66 says check the original paperwork to see if the laptop came with a restore partition and/or an install disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?