Reinstalling WIN XP + SP2

wester john 16:38 07 Jan 2006

I have an Acer 1306 notebook, Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB DSRAM, currently running WIN XP + SP2. It is over two years old and running very slowly. Can anyone please tell me what steps I need to take before reinstalling, and how do I reinstall the drivers. Or would running defrag help? The sound is also very 'bitty'.
Thanks.

wester john 16:57 07 Jan 2006

I looked at defrag, but it says I don't need to.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 07 Jan 2006

1.Scan for spyware and malware

2. Clear out all temporary files an folders our hard drive may be getting full

wester john 17:40 07 Jan 2006

Thanks. I have Spybot and recently ran a check.
I will now look at clearing out temp files and folders.

ade.h 17:46 07 Jan 2006

The Windows XP registry is like Elvis at a Burger King half-price sale, and that does have an inevitable effect on performance over time. The more software that you install and/or uninstall, the worse it gets.

In your case there may be two slight sticky points to a re-installation; the fact that it's a laptop (harder to get the right drivers than with off the shelf desktop parts) and its age - it might not have full driver download support from Acer.

If you have your system, software and driver discs from the time of purchase, then it's probably okay. If however, Acer didn't supply all that, then you will need to check its website for driver downloads and support before going ahead.

wester john 17:56 07 Jan 2006

Thanks. That's very helpful. I thought there might be a problem as I couldn't find a drivers folder and I don't seem to have system, software or driver discs.
I have already sent a question to Acer support but will try contacting them by phone on Monday to see if they can help.

ade.h 18:15 07 Jan 2006

What you get varies a lot. My most recent laptop has two discs - one with Windows OEM and one with software from HP and 3rd parties, plus drivers. The former is particularly rare and valuable these days. Most laptops and many desktops apparently rely on a hidden restore partition and a recovery CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone