reinstalling win XP

moggers 11:24 24 Nov 2008

Hi i have inherited a laptop which is crippled by viruses malware etc. and want to reinstall XP the trouble is I have no reinstall disk just the laptop is there anywhere I can purchase (at no cost) a reinstall/recovery disk?

ventanas 12:04 24 Nov 2008

In a word - No. What make and model is it? You may be able to get one quite cheaply from the orginal vendor if not too old. You will also need all the various hardware drivers which will probably be on the required recovery disc.
Unless there was some other way of recovering the system, from files on a separate partition for instance.

moggers 12:16 24 Nov 2008

Its a fujitsu siemens Amilo model number K 7600.

How do i check if there is a separate partition on the drive?

chub_tor 12:39 24 Nov 2008

Disk management will show you a hidden partition if you have one. click here to see how to run Disk Manager in XP

moggers 12:48 24 Nov 2008

Thanks one small problem though, through viruses etc. when logged on there is no control panel option available, even when logged on as admin is there anyway to circumnavigate this. Presume this is down to a virus?

DieSse 13:08 24 Nov 2008

Do you have the XP activation code on the bottom of the system (should be there).

If yes - try borrowing an XP CD from a friend and try installing with your own product code. It may work, depending on the various versions of XP CDs. You'll need the hardware drivers for the laptop, which you can get from the Fuji site.

Download (on another system) the NOD32 free trial - copy it to a memory stick, and try installing and running it on the laptop, to see how much it can clean up the system

Borrow an XP CD as above, and try a repair install. You go through the normal install routine, but when it says it's already found a copy of XP installed, do you want to repair or replace - you opt for repair. However this won't necessarily clear it of malware.

DieSse 13:09 24 Nov 2008

NOD32 free trial - click here

moggers 13:19 24 Nov 2008

thanks for the advice will try that in the next couple of days!!

hiwatt 13:21 24 Nov 2008

There might be an option to restore to factory settings usually by tapping f10 at boot up although it might be different with this model.

hiwatt 13:24 24 Nov 2008

Tap f2 while the computer is booting up.This will take you into the bios where there might be an option to return the computer to factory settings.

moggers 18:39 24 Nov 2008

I have a desktop with xp on but no CD either is there anyway I can make a boot disk for the laptop from the desktop? As I have just got a message on the laptop saying "windows file protection" files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions" I dont know anyone offhand who has a windows XP disk :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?