Reinstalling Media Centre

degssie 12:41 06 Aug 2010

As I have mentioned in other posts, it looks like my HDD had given up the ghost. I have ordered another and will be reinstalling the OS on my Dell Dimension E520 using the supplied recovery disc.
When I tried to repair windows with this disc I saw that it said "XP Professional" when in actual fact my computer says “Windows Media Centre". I did find an unopened disc labelled "Media Centre Update" with my recovery disc.
My question is, do I have to install XP Pro first and then run the Media Centre upgrade?
I also have a "Vista" installation disc that I got from Dell, but never used, is it worth considering installing that instead?

Jollyjohn 13:10 06 Aug 2010

Windows Media Centre Edition is a variation of XP Pro and so I would install XP Pro and then run the upgrade disc.
Install Service pack 2 and then set up any TV tuners that you use.
Then install Service pack 3.
(I use Windows MCE 2005 with a dual digital tv tuner as my main tv in the house)

degssie 12:50 13 Aug 2010

Have managed to re-install my OS but with one little anoying problem. The @ symbol is no longer on the correct key (ie on the right), it is now found on the " key instead. How do I revert to the origional set up??

lotvic 13:06 13 Aug 2010

Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Regional Options tab - set all this to United Kingdom > Languages tab - click on Details box - set everything to United Kingdom and UK keyboard and Remove the US keyboard > click Apply and OK
close back to Desktop and shutdown pc.

Reboot the pc to have the changes take effect.

degssie 17:42 13 Aug 2010

Thanks Guys, sorted all my problems out .... for now :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone