reinstalling drivers

whatchamacallit 22:51 28 Nov 2007

Hi to all,

Is it possible to copy all your drivers to CD/DVD to speed up installation after format.

Where would I find the folder with the drivers, is it in i386 in Windows XP Home

SANTOS7 22:58 28 Nov 2007

click here

i use this to recover my desktop after a format, don't need to reinstall any drivers, copies everything back exactly as it was....

Technotiger 23:01 28 Nov 2007

Surely a much better way is to use Acronis True Image and back-up your pc to an external hard drive.

But I cannot understand why so many people have to re-format their hard drives, as seen so often on the forum? In seven years I have never had to do a re-format, but in any case I do follow my own advise as above :-)

woodchip 23:02 28 Nov 2007

That's a good bit of software may buy that!!!

SANTOS7 23:07 28 Nov 2007

GOOD indeed, best prog i have bought in years, it has saved me no end of worry, its easy to use and does exactly what it says on the box.
wether you backup to another HDD, Partition, or removable media i consider it to be the best out there...

whatchamacallit 23:08 28 Nov 2007

SANTOS7 Thanks for the link, but I do have backup software for my PC allready.
I want to do a clean install of Windows.

woodchip 23:18 28 Nov 2007

You should still buy it as when you have got things working as they should as a clean install you create a Image with Acronis. This backs up not just files but also the Partition imformation and all programs and files. And can be restored just as when you made it in a very short time. Virus's and errors etc are gone

whatchamacallit 23:19 28 Nov 2007

Update.
Backup software is great stuff, a must for all PC of today. My reason for my re-format is upgrading AGP, reconfigure HD`s from raid to ide if Microsoft will let me.

Poitier 14:30 29 Nov 2007

hi,
To back up drivers,search Google for "windows/backup". Download the small free program. Run it then copy the result to CD.

Poitier 14:43 29 Nov 2007

Hi again,
Sorry for the error,I should have said "Windrivers/backup".

whatchamacallit 00:33 01 Dec 2007

Marg7 & Poitier Thanks for your links and info, and many thanks to the rest.

Will update ASP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?