Reinstalled XP as unmountable boot volume problem.

Zerogravity 11:36 29 Mar 2014

I had a big problem with my samsung nc c10 running window xp. I had a unmountablebootvolume screen coming up when I rebooted after the netbook shot down unexpectedly. I could not boot into the operating system and was showing first the black screen which ask you to choose which boot up you want to perform, then 2 seconds after it start booting into windows it has gone into the unmountablebootvolume screen. It got stuck into doing this over and over again every time I started the netbook. Not being able to get into windows, I could not check about any hardware or software problems. What did worry me is that it got stuck in a loop. On the internet I have found a suggestion to use the operating system disk to repair the damage. I have found a disk that came with the netbook called SYSTEM RECOVERY MEDIA and hoped I will be able to boot up from CD. Which it did. I had 3 partitions to choose from, one was for the some samsung software, C had 72 GB and D had 73GB. I have chosen C as it was where the operating system was in the first place, but it was more a guess work as I have never installed an operating system before. I probably made a mess of it all, but never mind. I thought it would only repair the broken parts but it had reinstalled the operating system again. Now I am starting from scratch and I presume I have lost all the files I had on it, but does that mean that it has rewritten over the old installation or do I have 2 operating systems installed with one not working? I am worried about the amount of GB left if I have both of them on one partition. I can't even find the wireless connection icon that would allows me to connect to see the networks available and connect to my router, and I need to go on the internet as I need to reinstall all drivers and updates.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 29 Mar 2014

You could have done a repair using a proper XP CD

the System restore media has reset it back to the day it came and may well have overwritten you data. You probably only have one operating system ... the new one.

all the drivers should be in as it has been set back to the day it came. but you will need to install all updates.

See the posts from ambra4 here to setup your network connections

Zerogravity 09:49 30 Mar 2014

The problem is that I didn't have a proper XP CD at hand, that was the only cd that I had with the netbook. I will buy another laptop later this year, but if the NC10 still works, I will still be using it for some things.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:12 30 Mar 2014

No reason why it shouldn't work.

If yo want to dispense with XP afer the 18th when support stops you could run Ubuntu 12 on it

Zerogravity 15:39 31 Mar 2014

Yes, that's a good idea. Will probably look into it and consider it once i have a new laptop up and running later this year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?