Reinstalled XP Pro will not update

tiroen 23:30 15 Mar 2004

Following a HD problem, I re-formatted and partitioned it. Installed Win98se2 on C:\ and Xp Pro direct form the CD into D:\ E:\ is my data partition.

I can dual boot and use XP as default, but I cannot update it either from the SP1 CD or from the internet.

HELP!!

Tiroen

wawadave 00:34 16 Mar 2004

hello
if it detechs a pirated serial number. it wont update. i have heard of it doing this with leagel numbers. and the fix was calling the maker of the computer.and or calling microsoft.

Justabitbaffled 08:28 16 Mar 2004

What firewall etc are you using?

I had a similar problem on a brand new machine with XP not updating from the internet, and certain software stalling during installation.

We finally determined that the problem was Norton Internet Security; both 2003 and 2004.(I have since learned that this can also happen with Mcaffe' bundled firewall & Antin virus). The solution was to install a firewall and anti virus seperately (and in that order). I used Mcafee seperate products, hich installed and work fine, as do the windos XP updates.

Hope this may help.

Justabitbaffled

byfordr 09:26 16 Mar 2004

Easiest thing (assuming its legit) is call Microshaft. They are pretty helpful.

R

anon1 09:29 16 Mar 2004

If the installation is of the dubious nature you can still normally update some aspects of windows update but the service packs will report an error and that is usually after you spend ages downloading it. When it runs it then reports an error. I would suggest that you add the microsoft update site to your trusted zones and turn off the av and firewall to try the upgrades

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?