Reinstalled XP but haven't got any sound

Chris Webster 19:35 30 Mar 2009

Hi all,
I've just reinstalled Win XP for a friend, everything is spot on except there isn't any sound.

The speaker icon isn't showing in the system tray. When I go to 'control panel' > 'sounds and audio devices' everything on the 'volume' tab is greyed out, it just says 'no audio device'.

When I look in 'device manager' > 'sound,video and game controllers' there's a warning sign next to 'C-Media AC97 Audio Device'. In the 'device status' it says 'this device cannot start code 10'.

I reinstalled from the rescue/reinstall partition on the hard drive.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Regards, Chris.

MAJ 19:40 30 Mar 2009

You need to reinstall the audio drivers, post the make and model of your PC as there could be a few flavours of the 'C-Media AC97 Audio Device' drivers.

DieSse 19:44 30 Mar 2009

You need to load the sound drivers (and possibly other drivers too) for your motherboard. You'll find them on the motherboard manufacturers website.

If you don't know what the motherboard is, one of theses free downloadable programs will tell you.

Everest click here

PC Wizard click here

You might need to get a driver for you graphics card too, if it's not on the motherboard.

Chris Webster 22:00 31 Mar 2009

Hi again,

The make of the computer is iQon (Tesco), I've looked on their site and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to download any drivers from.

Motherboard name is, Gigabyte GA-8S661GXMP

Motherboard ID is, 06/22/2005-SiS-661FX-6A7I4G0EC-00

Regards, Chris.

Strawballs 22:20 31 Mar 2009
  Chris Webster 22:54 31 Mar 2009

Thank you for the link, I've downloaded the file to my keydrive.

Do you think this will resolve the no sound problem?

Apart from making a restore point is there anything else I need to do before installing the new motherboard drivers?

Regards, Chris.

Strawballs 23:27 31 Mar 2009

Can't think of anything else I would would have just run it rather than save, but that's just me and yes it should solve the sound problems as it will have all of the motherboard drivers.

Chris Webster 19:44 02 Apr 2009

Thank you very much for your help, the sound is now working fine.

I'll mark as resolved.

Regards, Chris.

Strawballs 22:15 02 Apr 2009

Your welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache