Reinstalled WinXP, now router doesn't work

AMJFisher 22:00 15 Feb 2008

I have a Virgin Media Broadband connection using a D-Link DI-524 Router to share the connection around the house, I and one person are connected directly to the Router via ethernet cable whilst there are others using the wireless part.

Today, I had to reinstall Windows XP Home SP2, and I reconnected to VM fine once I did so, but now, hours later, the Router keeps cutting out after a minute or so once it and the Cable Modem are turned on. The same happens to the people using the Wireless part.

I tend to unplug both Cable Modem and Router together, leave for 30 secs, then plug back in and wait for another 30 secs, but this time it hasn't worked.

Is there something I should do with the Router config itself? I don't see how, as I've only made changes to my own PC when reinstalling WinXP. But if I do have to tell the Router my PC and Broadband connection details, how do I?

Any suggestions?

martd77 22:21 15 Feb 2008

All the settings are saved in your router so providing you havent "reset to factory settings" when you put the ethernet cable in it should just connect,mine always has any time ive had to re install or even switch os from xp to vista.
What do you mean cutting out?power down?loss of connection?

AMJFisher 22:36 15 Feb 2008

Well, it was like intermittent connection.

So you're telling me I don't even have to do anything with the router and it should work fine?

What about when I reinstalled WinXP, and I used the old Broadband setup CD provided by my ISP? Was I not meant to do that?

The only other thing is that I changed the password on my ISP account, but that wouldn't cause problems, would it?

Kemistri 22:44 15 Feb 2008

"So you're telling me I don't even have to do anything with the router and it should work fine?"

Yes.

"Was I not meant to do that?"

No.

"The only other thing is that I changed the password on my ISP account, but that wouldn't cause problems, would it?"

If you didn't update the router's config.

AMJFisher 22:54 15 Feb 2008

Well, now, each time I plug both CM and R in, things are fine, but then get sluggish again.

I only hope it's a blip in the ISP's service.

martd77 08:43 16 Feb 2008

Thats correct as long as you have not changed the config of the router,plug it in and it should work,you only need the cd if your using the modem via usb which your clearly not,i myself am on virgin broadband and at times on a friday night browsing slows to a crawl so id see if thats the problem

AMJFisher 10:55 16 Feb 2008

Well, it seems to be working fine now, thanks. I think it was just bad timing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?