Reinstalled windows on acer laptop...driver help!

herc182 14:59 09 Mar 2009

i reinstalled windows xp on my acer laptop.

bought windows since i lost the recovery cd.

problems;

1 - my keyboard is not configured. i have to hold the function key to use it normally otherwise it defaults to the blue functions on the actual key (EG NUMBERS)

2 - my graphics card is not recognised. therefore i cannot install ati drivers because when it goes to install it says that there is no graphics card installed...

help!

PO79 15:09 09 Mar 2009

All drivers should be available on the manufacturers website, that's the place to start.

herc182 15:12 09 Mar 2009

been there...nothing for keyboard.

the graphics driver isnt there either. downloaded that from ati directly but it wont install

Grey Goo 15:24 09 Mar 2009

What model is it only a lot of Acers use Nvidia graphics.

herc182 16:16 09 Mar 2009

its the acer 5600 series.

aspire

also, i wanted to install a clean version of windows but its seems that my old version is still on here...i am so annoyed! i cannot uninstall it!

Grey Goo 17:14 09 Mar 2009

The 5600 travelmate uses an N vidia graphics driver according to Acer site. Was/is there a secret recovery partition to make a recovery disc from.

Grey Goo 23:09 09 Mar 2009
  herc182 00:06 10 Mar 2009

It's definitely ati. But either way how do I get windows to recognize it?!

herc182 00:43 10 Mar 2009

this is silly. i cant find a driver for my keyboard...i have looked all day. anyone please have any ideas?

Simsy 05:28 10 Mar 2009

that the keyboard number problem you might be able to fix by going into the BIOS...

There might be a setting to default to "numlock on" that is causing the problem you mention. Perhaps setting it to "numlock off" at startup might remedy this.

I'm clutching at straws a bit!

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

herc182 09:20 10 Mar 2009

does anyone know what the driver would be called from the acer website? for the keyboard i mean. i have used windows to manually install my graphics driver (right click onmy computer>manage>update driver.>select location then choose one from windows xp library)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?