Reinstall XP Pro

User-CB94CED6-F3AA-42E7-8A286564F5DCBC14 11:56 18 Jun 2007

I've got to reinstall!

Lost the original CD but have another one.

I've extracted the code/key from the existing windows so am ready.

I've heard that if you have any disc with windows Xp on it you can use it but you need the code from the original install. Is this correct?

Thanks for your time.

Kate B 12:02 18 Jun 2007

Yup, should be fine, provided it's the same version of XP, ie the disc and the key are both for either Home or Pro.

Totally-braindead 12:07 18 Jun 2007

Agree with Kate B what you have been told is correct, as long as you use your own code you can use anyone elses disk to reinstall as long as it matches the code as Kate points out. If your code is for Home and you borrow a Home disk it will work fine, if you borrow a Pro disk and you code is for Home it will fail. It must be the same version.

Once done do remember to reinstall the motherboard drivers. It might not need them XP will install its own drivers but they may not be right. Better to goto the motherboard manufacturers website and try their drivers after you reinstall windows. Unless of course you still have the motherboard drivers disk in which case you can just use that.

Strawballs 22:28 18 Jun 2007

I think that if it was OEM then it must be another OEM not Retail version?

I will now go ahead.

Strawballs 22:40 26 Jun 2007

How did you get on???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?