reinstall of xp

Head hurts 23:21 24 Jul 2007

i need to reinstall xp home on my aged laptop i have the rinstall cd's and a floppie for erasing and partitioning the hard drive. my question is that as this was purchased shortly after xp was introduced when reinstalled i will go back to the basic xp without service packs, i have service pack 2 but not 1 do i need service pack 1 first and if so will all these updates still be available on windows update? any advice much appreciated.

Stuartli 23:22 24 Jul 2007

I'd partially replied to your misplaced posting - SP2 includes SP1.

brundle 23:23 24 Jul 2007

SP2 includes all the SP1 updates. You may want to consider Autopatcher to get all the updates in one go; click here
If you want SP2 on its own; click here

woodchip 23:28 24 Jul 2007

You do nt need SP1 as above. It would have been a lot easier with an Acronis Image

Head hurts 23:46 24 Jul 2007

thanks for the help and the links, appreciated

Jack Hackett 04:15 25 Jul 2007

While you're at it, make yourself a new XP installation CD with SP2 integrated into it.
click here

Go even further and add/integrate all post SP2 updates into it too, Using RyanVMs post SP2 update pack
click here
and Integrator
click here

Stevie07 19:40 28 Aug 2007

Hi - I to have to reinstall Xp but only have th eoriginal sp1a disk and a seperate sp2 disk. Following the instructions given by Jack Hackett all works well until I try and update. When I attempt this I get an error message that states that I cant update a cd that already has update son it. Please help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?