reinstall windows xp

neilcann 14:02 14 Feb 2009

Hi
I want to reinstall windows xp to my PC, when i bought the PC it had no no XP disk with it, i have got hold of a copy of XP SP3 on CD.

i have managed to recover my XP product key.

can i use this key with the copy of xp i have?. i do have a generic product key that apparently works but would rather use a legit key?

any help would be greatly appreciated as this is the first time i will be attempting a reinstall!!

ronalddonald 15:04 14 Feb 2009

you got hold of the win xp disc it should come with a product key. If it hasnt then try the key you have. Now some people will argue that the xp cd you bought should of come with its own key. I presume you know how to reinstall:

Insert disc and restart comp pres i thinks its ythe f12 key or the f8 key and follow the instructions.

ronalddonald 15:05 14 Feb 2009

the key you use doesn't work i would go back to the people who sold you the xp cd and ask them for the product key

neilcann 17:27 14 Feb 2009

thanks for the reply,

the thing is the cd i have is not bought, i sourced it from elsewhere!! it has a product key with it but plenty of people would have already used this key, thats why i want to use my own, if possible, to make it legit.

MAJ 19:11 14 Feb 2009

If the legit product key you have is for the same version of XP (Home or Pro) that you have "sourced", then it will be okay.

neilcann 19:18 14 Feb 2009

thanks

i will give it a go, i have backed up a complete image to an external hard disk, have collected all my drivers and backed up the programs i need, hopefully. fingers crossed!!!

woodchip 19:55 14 Feb 2009

Why no first try a Repair with the CD. Start with CD in computer choose setup, it will look for a Operating System on the drive, When it shows the Box with the OS in it Click on the One it finds then press R

Strawballs 21:07 14 Feb 2009

If the "Generic" key you have works with the copy of windows you have obtained it might be a corperate version which will proberbly not work with your product key.

As mentioned before you have to make sure that the copy of XP you have is the same as the product key you have ie XP pro or home and I think it will even make a difference if it is Retail or OEM. If it came pre-installed then it wil most likely be OEM and should have a OEM product key sticker on it somewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017