Reinstall O.S. onto Netbook From Pen Drive?

ame 21:17 27 Dec 2010

My daughter's friend's Dell Inspiron 1011 has been wrecked by a virus, and I need to reinstall Windows XP, as a message comes on saying the operating system is not found, and I cannot access the recovery partition. I have the Windows XP Home SP3 and Dell driver discs but no internal or external usb cd drive. There is an option to boot from a usb drive but no help from Dell website manuals on how to. Can I do this or do I have to buy a £15 external cd drive?

ame 21:20 27 Dec 2010

Sorry - should have said I have a desktop running XP that I can use to copy files to my pen drive.

The Kestrel 22:01 27 Dec 2010

If your pen drive has a large enough capacity to hold all the OS files, then it is worth giving it a go. The netbook should see the pen drive as an external drive. At least this way you will save the cost of buying an external hard drive and it won't do any harm to the net book, which at worst will simply refuse to boot from the pen drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:27 27 Dec 2010
  ame 09:51 28 Dec 2010

Thanks, guys. I thought it was more complicated than just copying XP files from disc to flash drive. I think I will just buy a cheapo external cd drive as it will be much easier! Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?