Regular problems with IE7

johnpalmer 10:55 23 Feb 2007

I have been getting a lot of stall & freeze problems recently with Internet Explorer, advising me that there is a problem and it will have to close.

After closing a small window pops up asking if I want to send the problem report to microsoft.

Sometimes I do, but when I click on what details will be sent to Microsoft, I get almost exactly the same two details listed. They are as follows:-

C:\DOCUME~\JOHNPA~\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERbe56.dir00\msimn.exe.mdmp

C:\DOCUME~\JOHNPA~\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERbe56.dir00\appcompat.txt

Can anyone tell me what they do, and can I delete them.

I have a fairly new Dell with Pentium 4 3.00GHz CPU with 2 GB or RAM.

I carry out all the normal safeguards and scans using CCleaner, Spyware Doctor, AVG, NoAdware etc.

Any help gratefully received.

Are microsoft persuading me to update to Vista ?

brundle 10:58 23 Feb 2007

MSIMN is the executable for Outlook Express - is that what you use for email?

johnpalmer 11:04 23 Feb 2007

Yes it is. Any help ?

brundle 11:09 23 Feb 2007

Do you get the problems with and without OE loaded at the same time as IE7? Does OE ever crash when you use it and don't have IE7 loaded?

johnpalmer 11:44 23 Feb 2007

From memory, it can happen in both scenarios, but I'm not sure the how often.

Incidentally, I have just run my Reg Mechanic software, which found a dozen problems, but have just run a free version of registeryfix, which found 491 problems. Is this a spoof or is reg mechanic not doing it's job

rawprawn 11:50 23 Feb 2007

Try running CHKDSK /F (Go to start/Run/ and type
chkdsk /f, it will ask if you want to schedule it for next reboot say yes and reboot)

brundle 11:54 23 Feb 2007

Pimasoft? click here

Stick with RegMechanic.

As far as the problems with IE7 are concerned you might try backing up your information in OE (click here), go to control panel/add remove, Windows Components, remove Outlook Express, run a registry cleaner, reboot, re-install Outlook Express and see if it helps.

brundle 12:04 23 Feb 2007

Sorry, wrong company. Up to you, but I wouldn't pay for it if you already use Reg Mechanic. Without seeing what other stuff RegistryFix picked up it's hard to judge if it is doing a more thorough search or just highlighting old entries that are unimportant.

Yogie 14:24 23 Feb 2007

best is don't use internet explorer , I tried firefox but was not happy now ,since december, I use OPERA and never had a problem also faster then IE7..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?