registry software deleted, XP not starting up

RigbyBaffers 14:14 25 Oct 2007

I was having that windows system32 error message come up and i went on to microsoft click here) and found a solution for it but i was not too focussed and although i saw there was a warning at the top i didn't pay much atention, I took one look at it's advice then went to my registry and deleted what i thought at the time was right. Shortly after i'd done this i realised that i hadn't deleted the one thing i'd seen the start and deleted all of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE, i initially thought it was alright because it came up with an error message claiming not all could be deleted so i quickly cancelled. i then shut down and tried to start up and after the usual start up i got to the microsoft windows logo but it was discoloured and i can't get any further. i have tried a few things but i was wondering whether anyone had any advice. Thanks in advance

PO79 14:23 25 Oct 2007

Have you considered booting from the Widows CD and doing a repair install.

Seth Haniel 14:25 25 Oct 2007

try System restore ?

RigbyBaffers 14:28 25 Oct 2007

yeah i have tried running in safe mode and i just get to the same point as before (windows logo) but the onlt change is it is properly coloured. I can't get to system restore because i can't get to my desktop. But i have tried pressing F8 until the screen came up and selecting the begin from last working point but that just took me to the discoloured windows logo. any other suggestions?

RigbyBaffers 14:30 25 Oct 2007

i have the CD and i put it in my computer but it isn't automatically activating it or i can't find an option to use the cd to install it or start it anywhere. basically i have the cd but i can't find a way to use it.

PO79 14:35 25 Oct 2007

At start up enter BIOS (Usually del key or F2) and set boot options to boot from CDROM then Hard Drive press F10 to save and exit, then boot with the CD in the drive.

ventanas 14:38 25 Oct 2007

Not for the faint-hearted click here

If you cannot boot from CD you need to change the sequence in the bios. Just after you switch on you will see an instruction to press a key to enter setup. Usually this either Del or F2. When in the bios look for something headed Boot Sequence (or similar)and change the order so that the CD/DVD drive is before the hdd. TGhen follow the prompts to save and exit.

If you have deleted all (or most) of HK_Local_Machine theb a huge part of your registry has gone. Even if you can restore it to a level that your computer will start there may be a heck of a lot missing, and programs will not run. Have you considered forgetting it and reformatting and reinstalling Windows and your programs.

ventanas 14:39 25 Oct 2007

Sorry, posted at the same time.

RigbyBaffers 14:39 25 Oct 2007

mine is called setup, it is activated using the F2 button, i have tried a few things in there e.g. os install but there is no option to boot from cdrom (my page is grey btw just to check i am in the right place)

RigbyBaffers 14:43 25 Oct 2007

i have BOOT SEQUENCE.........: <ENTER>
what do i do here?

PO79 14:46 25 Oct 2007

Press enter and change the boot sequence to CDROM first.When you try to go to safe mode, can you select the option to start in safe mode with commanf prompt, if so and you get to a command prompt try this first.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017