REGISTRY PROBLEM ON WINDOWS XP

JOHN232 09:57 26 Apr 2008

I'm suddenly unable to boot up my Dell laptop which is running on windows xp. I keep getting this message on the screen;

STOP:c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
THe registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

alan2273 10:09 26 Apr 2008

Have you tried booting into safe mode (press F8 at start up) and do a system restore from there.

JOHN232 10:15 26 Apr 2008

I can select the safe mode, I then get a screenfull of writing for a few seconds, but then it's back ro the original meassage.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:05 26 Apr 2008

Restore from recovery console

boot from the XP CD. Start Windows Setup and press R to access the recovery console. Select your Windows installation, then type the administrator password – press Enter if there isn't one.
Now enter the following commands:

CD C:\
CD "system volume information\_resto~1"
DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose)
CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY _Registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
COPY _Registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
COPY _Registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
COPY _Registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
COPY _Registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Type the command exit to close the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

JOHN232 16:29 27 Apr 2008

I can't for the life of me find an XP disc. I've found four others that came with it, but not a Windows XP. I bought this from Dell 3 yrs ago. Would they have definately sent me one?

Sea Urchin 16:47 27 Apr 2008

They may well not have done. But you would probably have a system recovery program on a hidden partition of the hard drive. I don't have a Dell laptop myself, but these instructions were from another forum - it would be worth seeing if they work for you -

Turn on the computer. During the boot process, a blue bar with www .dell .com appears at the top of the screen.

Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press Ctrl + F11. If you do not press Ctrl + F11 in time, let the computer finish restarting, and then restart the computer again.
Note: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.

On the next screen that appears, click Restore.

On the next screen, click Confirm. The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.

When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.
Note: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

When prompted, click Yes.

JOHN232 18:18 27 Apr 2008

I don't know whether I'm bringing up the screen that you're refering to. Whether I press F11 or not, it brings up a black and white screen which starts.......

we apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

There are 5 coices, but 'restore' is not one of them. I've opted for 'last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)'. That brings up the Widows logo but then reverts back to my original posting.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 27 Apr 2008

will it boot to command prompt?

JOHN232 18:36 27 Apr 2008

'boot to command prompt' is not one of the options available.

The options are;

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last known Good Congiguration
Start Windows Normally.

I've tried them all, but they all take me back to my original posting. :(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 27 Apr 2008

Your gonna need to borrow an XP cd or download some form of boot disk.

XP boot discs at click here

skidzy 18:48 27 Apr 2008

Try tapping F11 or F10 on startup,this should give you access to a recovery partition as said earlier.

Do not use the CTRL + F11 ,just tap F11 or F10 and wait for the blue loading bar at the bottom of the screen.
This should then give you 3 options,one of these will be to repair windows...select this.

However in saying this,i also believe you may need a recovery disc or boot disk,using a recovery/restore disc will almost certainly lose all your data.

I have a Dell laptop with me (Inspiron 6400),if the same model i can check the actual recovery partition key if you wish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?