Registry Problem I think!

donald59 23:21 15 Apr 2007

I want to avoid doing a clean install both of my computer (Toshiba) and operating system (Windows XP) because the problem I have is a very very long start-up time. All the programmes I have in the add/remove programme I do use, and I cannot really get rid of any. I know there is something that can be done in the registry, but am not too sure how you go about it. Can someone give me a step by step guide as to what to do, so that I can print the advice out, and follow it, or suggest a freeware programme to counter the problem. Thanks.

skidzy 23:27 15 Apr 2007

To reduce your bootup time:

Start/Run and type MSCONFIG and select startup/untick everything except your Antivirus and Firewall and if you have any realtime antispyware scanner...leave this ticked also,now reboot.

Then run ccleaner click here things should improve.Also defragging your harddrive and check the disc for errors.

Strawballs 23:27 15 Apr 2007

Go to start > run type msconfig and hit enter then go to the start up button and untick everything except anti-virus real time spyware scanners and any keyboards etc that need to be running all of the time then reboot and see if that helps.

You do not to have all the programs running all of the time only when you need to use them, this will not remove them just take them out of your start up routine.

Quiet Life 23:34 15 Apr 2007

Your problem may be the programs that load at start up.
Start>Run type in msconfig then press OK.
in Start up untick all those programs that it is not necessary to load each time and press OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone