Registry Key increase

chocolate cake 22:29 16 Feb 2007

I run Counterspy and have just run a scan and it has scanned >114,000 registry keys. I remember a time early last year when I was only scanning around 30,000.

Is it normal to have this many keys in a registry. I am aware that these can be created by certain nasties so I have run all the usual scans including frequent scans by Registry Mechanic to dump all the waste and am a little concerned.

Can anyone offer reassurance please?

ed-0 23:05 16 Feb 2007

No offence old fruit, but you are paranoid. What other essential ( tongue in cheek ) must have security do you run.

I run AVG once a month, if I remember. Windows defender and spyware blaster. Every ? months. I have never had a nasty.

I bank on line with 4 separate accounts, I shop on-line. Never had a problem.

I think these programs pray on the vulnerable.

You could of course, go ad invanitume on security.

ed-0 23:07 16 Feb 2007

chocolate cake

No offence old fruit, but you are paranoid. What other essential ( tongue in cheek ) must have security do you run.

I run AVG once a month, if I remember. Windows defender and spyware blaster. Every ? months. I have never had a nasty.

I bank on line with 4 separate accounts, I shop on-line. Never had a problem.

I think these programs pray on the vulnerable.

You could of course, go ad infinitum on security.

chocolate cake 23:27 16 Feb 2007

No offence taken old fruit. My question was not so much about nasties, pardon me if I gave that impression, but, more to do with the ever increasing profiteroling - strike that - proliferation of my registry keys.

woodchip 23:44 16 Feb 2007

You will get more, Every time you load programs and alter something on your comp

woodchip 23:45 16 Feb 2007

Even if you open a File, it creates a new key so you can open it again quick from menu. in a program

chocolate cake 23:46 16 Feb 2007

Oh! well nothing to worry about then. I'll tick as resolved. 114,000 did seem an extravagant number.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?