Registry Hack needed I think

Demora 21:34 24 Mar 2004

Hi.

I have dissabled Active X in the security part of IE6 I now want windows XPHome to stop telling me I've done this eveytime I go onto a website that MIGHT be running these scripts.. Grrrrr

Demora

GaT7 21:45 24 Mar 2004

Try rebooting to see if this problem persists.

Demora 21:56 24 Mar 2004

Noooooo. its not an error message. a standard window. 'I love to bloat your pc with these messages and they're going to annoy the hell out of you till you turn it back on' type message.

I don't want Active X running stuff on my pc. you never know whats coming. BUT I do want to hack the darn message.

Its like if you disable cookies. BUT this time theres no little box with the message. 'don't show this message again to tick.

Demora

gudgulf 23:08 24 Mar 2004

That could be because activeX is actually useful----using the default setting to reject unsigned activeX controls has not caused me any problems.

However have a look at click here ,this has some instructions on disabling directX

temp003 06:22 25 Mar 2004

Other people share your frustration: click here

Then click here for a suggestion (which really is not worth the risk). Scroll down to "Other tips regarding ActiveX issues".

The "hack" is not just a simple registry hack but a rather complicated one using Resource Hacker. What's more, the file referred to, shdoclc.dll, is a system file (in XP, it's in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and the system32\dllcache folders).

With XP, Windows File Protection is much stronger. Changes to the file will be undone by XP by restoring the original from the dllcache folder. So you'll have to make same changes to both files. Even then, I don't know how WFP reacts in this situation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?