Registry is fried, need a backup i think.

gazmix 13:34 13 Sep 2009

Hi
Ages back i posted about my pc having no sound online.
The only sound i get is in Windows messenger & when playing WMP.
Everything else, nothing!
This all started when i turned auto updates on & SP3 was downloaded.
A person who'd been helping me said that my registry is fried as i can get some sounds & not others.

I went to the shop & he said that SP3 would be the issue & that a reinstall of Windows would be needed, without SP3. But wouldn't SP3 download automatically if updates were on?

Instead, could i not get a ERUNT reg backup of a friends XP on his pc & back it up on mine, hopefully repairing my Registry! or would that not work. Would a format & reinstallation be the only remedy?

thanks

Forum Editor 14:33 13 Sep 2009

use the system restore tool to roll your computer back to before you installed SP3? In saying that I'm assuming that it is the update that's caused the problem.

Windows would have created a restore point just before installing the update, so roll back to that.

gazmix 14:39 13 Sep 2009

I tried to uninstall SP3 which totally messed up my pc, deleting most programmes & erasing the system restore feature altogether!

Luckily, i had a ERUNT backup to a day before i tried to uninstall, which rescued my pc, but deleted all restore points when System restore was brought back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone