Registry First Aid from Avanquest .... Free

cocteau48 16:08 09 Sep 2009

Thanks to my regular email from Gizmo Richards website I got this link this afternoon:click here

The link is all self explanatory and - with an Acronis backup only a few hour old - I decided to give it a go. It found over 400 "safe to modify" items.

After a couple of hours since running the program ,not only have I found no ill effects,but my OS is running as fast as it would after a fresh reinstall. Some programs which previously were very sluggish to load are popping up in no time!

It is the first time that I have really noticed an improvement after running a registry cleaner,and it is not that long since I last ran my usual cleaner.

The usual provisos apply:

It may not work for you (read some of the comments on the page linked to)

Backup before you try it.

...and please don't shout at me it if doesn't work for you....but thus far I'm well impressed!

sunnystaines 17:02 09 Sep 2009

thanks going there now

sunnystaines 17:16 09 Sep 2009

downloaded and running scan now, got the very long serial key, but what is the user name please.

sunnystaines 17:29 09 Sep 2009

scan completed, have not registered it yet due to lack of username.

but reviewing the scan results 129 of them did not run any fix as they related to wifi entries [wifi temp down due to change of isp no home bb at present] most of the others relate to spybot and jk defrag which i still run and some microsoft keys.

Did yours relate to these programs too?

had recent scans last 2 days with ccleaner,eusing, & ASC IOBIT PRO.

cocteau48 18:00 09 Sep 2009

sunnystaines ....hi!

The names which I filled in for forename and surname (Vorname and Nachname) I also entered as the username. Along with the long serial key it just accepted my registration immediately.

After the scan I just let it fix the items it wanted to. Not very technical ,I know ,but with an Acronis image in the wings I knew I could wind the clock back and I was interested to see if anything stopped functioning if I gave it the freedom to do what it wanted. Thus far I have found nothing.

JKDefrag (MYDefrag) is still running OK since the scan and CCleaner,for example,when I click on the desktop icon to open it, opens before I have got the cursor down to the bottom corner to click on the run box!!

I have since tried it on the Vista laptop where it found over 1,200 issues but only wanted to actually fix about 200 so its inbuilt selectivity seems to be working.

rawprawn 19:07 09 Sep 2009

Good evening cocteau48, just trying it out. It looks promising.

cocteau48 19:13 09 Sep 2009

The only thing which I have discovered thus far is that it has deleted my shortcut key for my ext HD but Registry Mechanic and WinAso both did that until they were taught otherwise.

dastardly mutt 19:53 09 Sep 2009

:)

rawprawn 20:19 09 Sep 2009

A little bit worried, the scan is taking ages an now showing 10423 of 11821 safe selected. That seems an awful lot for only still 97% complete

rawprawn 20:52 09 Sep 2009

I have stopped and started again on Scan & Fix Much better, but too much hassle. I will stick with Winaso

sunnystaines 22:09 09 Sep 2009

having trouble registering, cleaned a few entries all ok some scans found old keys from software deleted over a year ago. the more you scan with this software the more it seems to find.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone