Registry File Failure

Newerfoundglory 11:53 09 Jun 2008

I get the following message when I turn on my laptop:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternative.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

I read up online and it says that I should install the recovery console disc however i don't have one of these, can I get one? Is there anything else I can do?

Its a Sony Vaio VGN-FS215Z if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Switcher 12:52 09 Jun 2008

Try using system restore to an earlier date

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:52 09 Jun 2008

You need to boot from a linux CD or bootable recovery CD click here

or bootable floppies click here

Once in recovery or linux that can read the NTFS file system of you drive you can restore the registry:-

CD C:\
CD "system volume information\_resto~1"
DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose)
CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY _Registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
COPY _Registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
COPY _Registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
COPY _Registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
COPY _Registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Type the command exit to close the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

Newerfoundglory 14:01 09 Jun 2008

At the moment the screen reads like this:

Microsoft Windows XP (TM) Recovery Console.
The Recovery Console provides system repair and recover functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restanrt the computer.
C:\>_

Umm...what should I do now?!?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:12 09 Jun 2008

type

CD system volume information\_resto~1

you should then see

c:\system volume information\restore\>_
type
dir

and follow my post above.

Newerfoundglory 14:34 09 Jun 2008

It tells me that the parameter is not valid. On the keyboard, the key where the " ~ " is does not make the " ~ ", it is on the key next to the number 1 (above the tab key) however, it types it higher than it should be (if this makes any sense at all! I'm really sorry!)

Newerfoundglory 15:01 09 Jun 2008

Can I get to it from the help directory choices?

Newerfoundglory 19:42 09 Jun 2008

Anybody?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:38 09 Jun 2008

Run System Restore to revert the system to an earlier version of the SYSTEM or SOFTWARE Registry hive, because of a corrupted Registry, it is possible to do this manually.
This method is far from perfect and doesn't take into account any of the other changes that System Restore might track (such as changed .DLLs or other system components), but it will allow you to recover copies of the Registry in the event of a failure—provided they've been saved with System Restore and are available.

1. Boot the Recovery Console from the Windows XP installation CD.

2. When you're at the Recovery Console command prompt, change into the root directory of the system drive with the cd command (i.e., cd \).

3. Change into the System Volume Information directory by typing cd system~1 on most machines, or cd "System Volume Information."

(The filenames with ~1 are generated by default to provide backwards compatibility with programs that only recognize 8.3-format filenames. It's possible to disable 8.3 filename generation on NTFS volumes to gain some speed, but the speed gained by doing this is generally pretty small and it can have the unintended consequence of making it impossible to use 8.3 filenames in contexts like this. If you can't use 8.3 filenames to navigate, 8.3 name generation might be disabled. See Microsoft's support document called How to Disable the 8.3 Name Creation on NTFS Partitions.

4. The System Volume Information directory contains a folder name _restore followed by a GUID in curly braces. Change into it by typing cd _resto~1; if that doesn't work you'll have to type cd "_restore{GUID_STRING}", with the full GUID string in place of GUID_STRING.

5. In the _restore directory are a group of subdirectories starting with the letters RP and followed by a number. These are the different restore points available for that volume.

6. Check the date on each directory and look for one that corresponds to a date before you began experiencing problems.

7. Change into the appropriate directory. If the directory is named RP74, for instance, change into it by typing RP74.

8. Inside that directory will be a subdirectory named snapshot; change into that directory as well (cd snapshot)

9. The snapshot directory holds backup copies of the SOFTWARE and SYSTEM Registry hives, named _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE and _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM, respectively.

10. The target directory for these files is \Windows\System32\Config, and the hives there are named SOFTWARE and SYSTEM. Rather than overwrite those files entirely, you can rename them to something else. Typing ren \windows\system32\config\software \windows\system32\config\software.bak and ren \windows\system32\config\system \windows\system32\config\system.bak will rename them to software.bak and system.bak, respectively.

11. Copy in the backup hives: copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE \windows\system32\config\software and copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM \windows\system32\config\system.

12. Type exit to leave the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

If you have an alternate operating system, such as a Linux live-recovery CD that has access to the NTFS file system, you can perform the file copying from there as well, without having to struggle as much with the command line.

Newerfoundglory 23:10 09 Jun 2008

Im really sorry but its just not working for me, currently im having trouble with step 2! It just keeps telling me that 'the system cannot find the file or directory specified' - is there anywhere I can find a complete beginners, idiot guide to doing this?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 10 Jun 2008

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?