Registry Emergency

Menz 13:15 29 Sep 2005

For reasons too complicated and humiliating to go in to, I have restored an old version of the registry to a PC and am now getting an error message which says that 'Isass.exe'is providing an incorrect password and Windows won't load. Am I comprehensively knackered?

I've got a Drive Image 7 backup but it's about four months old and I'd rather not use it unless I have to. Is there any chance that this can be repaired? I'd really welcome any suggestions.

Thanks.

Stuartli 13:31 29 Sep 2005

Found this at Tips and Tricks:

lsass.exe is the Windows local security authority subsystem service that handles the logon process, user authentication, and generates session-specific security tokens that are compared with user and group permissions to determine whether resource access requests are granted or denied.

The Sasser worm specifically attacks this system component, as do some varieties of Nimos and Lovgate.

Plus:

click here=

Stuartli 13:33 29 Sep 2005

Second one is:

click here

which suggests running the Microsoft AntiSpyware application for Sasser (LSASS Error) and Gaobot (Agobot) Worm Removal

Menz 13:40 29 Sep 2005

Hi, thanks for your suggestions. I'm pretty sure this is a self-inflicted injury, not a virus, and unfortunately I can't run anything, I just have a loud, hot, endlessly re-booting annoying metal box.

gudgulf 13:43 29 Sep 2005

What version of Windows?

Menz 13:52 29 Sep 2005

It's Windows Media Center 2005 OEM

Thanks

gudgulf 14:31 29 Sep 2005

Can you go via safe mode and log on to the Administrator account?

Menz 14:52 29 Sep 2005

Thank you both for your suggestions. I could have, gudgulf, if I'd remembered the password, but I couldn't, which I don't mind admitting now that it's fixed
What I did was restore files from my USB drive image file from Windows/system32/config, and off it went!
I'm now backing up everything I can lay my hands on, anyone out there reading this do the same so you can avoid this aggravation!
Hooray for Drive Image

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?