REGISTRY: DELETE FILES... IS IT SAFE?

dom dom 19:07 11 May 2007

hi,
I never went to look at regedit and I found loads of useless files expecially in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -+- software.
I start to look at it because the machine is very slow at start up and also give me hard time when open software like Word. Hre my questions:
- IS IT SAFE DELETE FILE FROM THE REGISTRY
- HOW CAN I IDENTIFY THE SHARING FILES? DO THE MACHINE NED ALL THESE FILES?
Im trying to figure out what is wrong with this PC! I already uninstall unwanted program or stuff like that but I can see that something is wrong.
please advice
thanks
dom

p;3 19:15 11 May 2007

some info might be helpful ; what windows version you are on, what protection programs do you have on board and when did you last completley update them and run full scans with them, including windows updates?

dom dom 21:40 11 May 2007

hi p;3
Window version is XP home
protection programs Norton 2006 and AVG update daily
I scam the PC daily too
Window up date is off because a lots of stuff dont need.

provider 2 21:48 11 May 2007

Deleting Registry files can play merry hell with your system if you don`t know exactly what it is you are doing.
Better to use a well tried and tested Registry cleaner like this one: click here
Read the reviews.Download and install if you think you can trust it. Take a back up, then let it do its job.

Watchful 21:51 11 May 2007

Are you running two anti-virus programmes at the same time? Not recommended.

p;3 21:55 11 May 2007

for how long have you had both Norton antivirus AND avg antivirus programs on there together?

and you have nothing else on there protection wise? eg adaware , spybot etc?

p;3 22:13 11 May 2007

also have you got SP2 on there ; and one presumes you have NOT run the windows updates for a while?

p;3 22:27 11 May 2007

put another way; looks like you are running TWO antivirus programs , so in effect you have NO protection on there; Norton is well known to be a computer resourse hogger, so will slow you down.plus, with in effect NO antivirus protection on there you may well HAVE an infection that is not being picked up as the Norton and the AVG will doubtless be clashing

having more than ONE antivirus program installed on any computer is NOT recommended practice

woodchip 22:29 11 May 2007

They are not files in the Registry, they are key's. Start Deleting things in there and your computer will work slow! it will stop altogether

p;3 22:47 11 May 2007

I think that it may have already done that with its on board clashes::((

woodchip 22:50 11 May 2007

Try restoring to a earlier date

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?