Registry Cleaners

Astrid 14:32 17 Jun 2009

My OS is Windows XP Home SP3. Over recent years I've tried many registry cleaners but have never been quite satisfied and after Registry Mechanic required almost £20 I tried a few cheaper ones and a few free ones. Some of these upset my computer and some appeared to slow it and only promised complete cleaning and fixing if I paid the usual almost £20. I now have no Registry Cleaner and I run Kaspesky Internet Security, though I know it isn't the same. Is it possible to run a trouble free computer without having a registry cleaner? Or are we to be locked into a system which doesn't always deliver whether we want to or not? I'd be grateful for advice.

User-1229748 15:06 17 Jun 2009

the only reg cleaner that i would fully trust is ccleaner and that is free.a reg cleaner is one thing i would never pay for as they are just as likely to bork your pc totally.ccleanerclick here

User-1229748 15:09 17 Jun 2009

you have almost certainly got malware on your pc also,try running malwarebytes free and see what it finds click here

Woolwell 15:19 17 Jun 2009

"you have almost certainly got malware on your pc" - that may not be the case. I run Kaspersky and occasionally run malwarebytes and malwarebytes has never found anything. It does depend on what sites you visit and what you click on.
I also run the system without a reg cleaner. It is trouble free. Reg cleaners can however speed up boot time by removing junk. Emptying your internet browser cache from time to time is a good idea.

birdface 16:02 17 Jun 2009

The best freebie I think is Winaso Optimizer.
It will only repair 10 items at a time but after the first run you do not have much to clean up afterwards.
It does an automatic back up and has different programs with it that come in very handy.
Well worth a try if you have never used it.
remember to pick the free or trial version or you can pay for the full version if you want.

gazzaho 16:37 17 Jun 2009

In my opinion registry cleaners are only really necessary if you install/uninstall software a lot or if you haven't reinstalled Windows in a few years. Uninstalling software often leaves errant registry entries behind which clutter the registry but even then if you use a program like Revo Uninstaller the entries can be dealt with when uninstalling the software. Again my opinion, but is the second or so saved in bootup that a cleaned registry will give you, over the risk of a screwed up machine worth the hassel?

I agree with smackheadz, the only one I use is the one built into CCleaner as it's pretty non-aggressive, it's never screwed up on me yet, unlike some others I've had the misfortune to use over the years.

A cleaner may come in handy if a program installation fails and screws with registry settings, For instance I was able to use CCleaner to remove DRM registry entries which stopped a game running after a failed installation, after following advice given on these forums.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone