Registry Booster?

Graphicool1 14:14 05 Nov 2009

Does anyone know how a registry booster work and more to the point does it work?
I'm not saying I intend using one, although I have downloaded one 'RegistryBooster 2010'
I just thought I'd see if anyone has tried and what the outcome was?

Input Overload 16:15 05 Nov 2009

I bought it a few months ago & am very pleased with it. I run it alongside JV16 power Tools & have had no problems or programs stopping working. In my opinion it's a good program.

Beware though there are a lot of fake registry cleaners out there that do absolutely nothing & some free ones which mess windows up.

T0SH 16:35 05 Nov 2009

Do yourself a favour dump it and scan for malware with something like malwarebytes after you remove it

the makers of this program Uniblue are well known for producing alarmist crapware that pretends to find loads of problems on your system and then wants you to pay to fix the non existing problems

Cheers HC

Graphicool1 17:01 05 Nov 2009

So, are you saying that a 'Registry Booster' is a 'Registry Cleaner'? Just couched in a different guise?
I was assuming that it worked the same as a system booster or a graphics booster?

rawprawn 17:15 05 Nov 2009

Try Advanced System Care Free click here
I find it "Gentle but effective" and it does a lot more than just scan the registry.

Graphicool1 17:49 05 Nov 2009

I just got rid of that. It destroyed my mates PC, but I thought it must have been something he did or didn't do. I ran the reg clean. It said it found a load of errors. Clicked fix.............MAYHEM! All my little problems became a nightmare on any street! Or would have if I hadn't set a System Restore Point. I don't know what it did or how it did it? But it changed my stereo to mono and made it four times as loud! Apart from all the other wrinkles.

mooly 18:56 05 Nov 2009

Having done a clean install of Vista (In August) I am staying well clear of all cleaners, even CC.
Having benchmarked the system I will see whether any noticeable deterioration sets in... so far it's looking good.
Just using Windows own tools for housekeeping.

Input Overload 19:57 05 Nov 2009

I've been building & using PC's since my first 20 MHz AMD, & I do not agree that 'Registry Booster' is 'crapware', actually it's one of the best I've ever used. I assume T0SH you have actually evaluated & used Rregistry Booster' or are you copying from another forum. If you have not used it you opinion is of no value.

I bought a new PC a few weeks ago & of course had to do a new install, but the PC before that which as all them before had been a self build had 'Registry Booster' on which found very few problems. The install on that PC which is now owned by someone else still has the original Vista install done on day 1 of final.

I sometimes wonder if some people have any common sense when running their PC's as I never seem to have issues such as 'Program X destoyed my PC Keep Away' I had had to format & lost all my applications - Have these people never heard of external drives, a backup system. Programs such as True Image.

Before anyone makes sweeping statements try the program yourself, if you have an image or several in my case, if it causes issues it's a matter of the time it takes to make a cup of tea to restore.

Input Overload 20:01 05 Nov 2009

Oh & BTW TOSH, I too use & have done for some time the full version Malwarebytes & the full version of A2, along with Eset Smart Security. In my opinion a pretty formidable layered protection. And the PC is cooking on gas!

Alf58 23:35 05 Nov 2009

I use Registry Booster and I have to admit i am not overly impressed. It finds problems in the registry but leaves a significant number not fixed (in my case it left thirty). It then tells you your registry is in an unhealthy state:which is rubbish considering I paid for Registry Booster to clean my registry. I wonder if they really will honour their 30 day money back if not satisfied promise.

Input Overload 10:23 06 Nov 2009

Alf58, Mail them & tell them why you are not satisfied & ask for your credit card to be refunded as per their promise.

I have done this a couple of times with programs that just don't do what they say & have been pleasantly surprised at the refund. Some registry keys though won't allow either a cleaner or to be manually to be altered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017